What basics do I need to learn before diving into Microwave Engineering?

In summary, if you want to read Microwave Engineering by David M. Pozar, you will need intermediate-level college-level mathematics and physics, along with a solid foundation in electrical engineering.
dingdongsilve
I have taken an interest in microwave engineering. I found a great book: Microwave Engineering by David M. Pozar which I am going to read but I can't understand the mathematics in it.

I have read nothing about physics, and I am up to a college algebra level in mathematics. My plan is to read a physics college textbook and study mathematics up to calculus. Can anyone make any other suggestions as to what basics I need to learn before reading the microwave engineering book?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to need more than calculus and college physics to get through that book I think. I've done calc 1 and 2 as well as a smattering of 3 and differential equations and there's stuff in there, the solutions manual at least, that I've never seen before. Based on looking through the solutions I'd also say that the physics is well beyond the standard physics 1 2 and 3.

Maybe you've find yourself an even greater direction than you first thought?

dingdongsilve said:
I have taken an interest in microwave engineering. I found a great book: Microwave Engineering by David M. Pozar which I am going to read but I can't understand the mathematics in it.

I have read nothing about physics, and I am up to a college algebra level in mathematics. My plan is to read a physics college textbook and study mathematics up to calculus. Can anyone make any other suggestions as to what basics I need to learn before reading the microwave engineering book?

Thanks for the help.
Pozar is an excellent text, but it's far from a beginner book. It's intended for college seniors and graduate students, according to the author. You'll need intermediate undergrad (that's usually junior year) or graduate level electricity and magnetism as well as math courses in ordinary and partial differential equations, linear algebra and matrices, complex variables, and in so-called special functions. You'll need a solid background in "conventional" electrical engineering, including network theory, Fourier transforms, response functions, filter theory, semiconductor electronics, etc.

Then when you master Pozar, you can get a job as a microwave design engineer.

Thank you both for your answers. They were very informative and helpful.

I would suggest that before diving into microwave engineering, it is important to have a strong foundation in both physics and mathematics. Microwave engineering involves the application of electromagnetic theory to design and develop devices and systems that operate in the microwave frequency range.

In order to understand the concepts and equations presented in the book by David M. Pozar, it would be beneficial to have a good understanding of basic physics principles such as electricity, magnetism, and wave theory. This can be achieved by studying a college-level physics textbook.

In terms of mathematics, it is essential to have a strong understanding of calculus, as it is used extensively in microwave engineering. It would also be helpful to have a good grasp of basic algebra and trigonometry, as well as some knowledge of complex numbers and vector calculus.

In addition to studying these subjects, I would also recommend familiarizing yourself with the fundamentals of circuit analysis and basic electronic components, as these are essential in microwave engineering.

Furthermore, it would be beneficial to gain hands-on experience by working on practical projects and experiments related to microwave engineering. This will help you to better understand the theoretical concepts and their real-world applications.

Overall, it is important to have a solid foundation in physics and mathematics before delving into the complexities of microwave engineering. With a strong understanding of these basics, you will be better equipped to comprehend and apply the concepts presented in the book. Best of luck on your learning journey!

1. What is Microwave Engineering?

Microwave Engineering is a branch of electrical engineering that deals with the study and design of devices and systems that operate at microwave frequencies. These frequencies range from 300 MHz to 300 GHz and are used in various applications such as communication systems, radar, satellite communication, and more.

2. What are the basic concepts of Microwave Engineering?

The basic concepts of Microwave Engineering include transmission line theory, microwave circuit theory, microwave network analysis, and microwave device design. These concepts form the foundation for understanding the behavior and design of microwave devices and systems.

3. What are some commonly used microwave devices?

Some commonly used microwave devices include microwave antennas, waveguides, couplers, amplifiers, filters, mixers, and oscillators. These devices are used in various applications and play a crucial role in the functioning of microwave systems.

4. What are some resources for learning about Microwave Engineering?

There are various resources available for learning about Microwave Engineering, such as textbooks, online courses, research papers, and conferences. Some popular textbooks include "Microwave Engineering" by David M. Pozar and "Foundations for Microwave Engineering" by Robert E. Collin.

5. What are some important considerations for designing microwave systems?

When designing microwave systems, it is important to consider factors such as frequency, power, impedance, bandwidth, and noise. Understanding these factors is crucial for designing efficient and reliable microwave systems that meet the desired specifications.