1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microwave Engineering: Where to start?

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    I have taken an interest in microwave engineering. I found a great book: Microwave Engineering by David M. Pozar which I am going to read but I can't understand the mathematics in it.

I have read nothing about physics, and I am up to a college algebra level in mathematics. My plan is to read a physics college text book and study mathematics up to calculus. Can anyone make any other suggestions as to what basics I need to learn before reading the microwave engineering book?

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2
    You're going to need more than calculus and college physics to get through that book I think. I've done calc 1 and 2 as well as a smattering of 3 and differential equations and there's stuff in there, the solutions manual at least, that I've never seen before. Based on looking through the solutions I'd also say that the physics is well beyond the standard physics 1 2 and 3.

Maybe you've find yourself an even greater direction than you first thought?

4. Apr 11, 2012 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pozar is an excellent text, but it's far from a beginner book. It's intended for college seniors and graduate students, according to the author. You'll need intermediate undergrad (that's usually junior year) or graduate level electricity and magnetism as well as math courses in ordinary and partial differential equations, linear algebra and matrices, complex variables, and in so-called special functions. You'll need a solid background in "conventional" electrical engineering, including network theory, Fourier transforms, response functions, filter theory, semiconductor electronics, etc.

Then when you master Pozar, you can get a job as a microwave design engineer.

5. Apr 12, 2012 #4
    Thank you both for your answers. They were very informative and helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook