1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microwave filter problem?

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    I'm working on a bandpass filter at 3.2 GHz. I built a few prototypes interdigital, pipecap cavity, and even microstrip.

Microstrip filter sort of works but it can't be tuned, so I abandoned it.

The other types also work, bandwidth and insertion loss is ok but they all exhibit garbage responses from 6 to 20 GHz, with some peaks having similar insertion than the fundemental.

So I'm looking for a way to either build a new type of filter, (mechanically tuned) or match impedance or something. This is pretty much a homebrew design.

Appreciate any info.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2
    How did you do the cavity type filter? If you are building it how I think you are then the odd harmonics of the fundamental will have a significant response. In any case you will probably have to do multiple stages such as a low-pass after the first bandpass. Some interesting things can be achieved using transmission line stubs

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm no expert at these frequencies (yet), but it sure seems like the microstrip could be tuned. What properties of the microstrip determine its filter characteristics? If it's a homebrew circuit and tuning, can't you do a little shaving of the copper to tune it? What are you using in the tuning process (do you have access to a network analyzer?)?

5. Jan 29, 2007 #4
    Cavity filter is basically a 1.5" copper pipe cap soldered to a FR4 pc board, with two SMA UT141 jumpers inserted into the cavity making a capacitive coupling by 1/8" probes extending from the jumpers. The cavity is tuned with a screw.

This is a common design popular among hams. Like this one

http://www.czd.org.uk/astro/radioastro/filter/index.html

I found that it works beautifully at the frequency of interest, but as you go up a couple of octaves in frequency, really bad things start to happen. Spikes up and down, as if it was acting like a high pass filter.

Same thing with my homebrew 5 element interdigital filter, that is enclosed in metal box, works great at the my frequency, but higher it looks so ugly.

Microstip filter that I did, I was close to my frequency, but to my suprise no other response was detected through 20 gigs. But I found even if you are millimeter off, it deteriorates and I am unable to optimize it. It's very difficult to tune it, even by taking bits of the trace. I think microstrips are good when designed by an em cad.

For tuning I just use a sweep oscillator and a diode detector, crude approach, but it's a homebrew so I don't complain.

I think a simple solution would be to add a low pass filter, but it's just as difficult, I think it has to do with band impedance matching, I don't know how to intergrate a stub or something.

thanks

6. Jan 29, 2007 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Good stuff, waht. But you won't find a physical filter that works over several ocatves, unless you use the voltage dependent capacitance of a reverse biased diode. Have you tried adding that to your physical GHz filters?

7. Jan 30, 2007 #6
    Intersting point, I've never seen a diode used to aid the response of filters. I found out, that a transmission line on FR4 works as a good low pass filter throught 6 or 7 GHz. So I think I will go with that.

But the root of the problem is bad impedance match I guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?