Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microwave noise

1. May 7, 2010 #1
    First I thought of posting this on the random thoughts thread, but I need an answer to this bugging question.

Why the hell a microwave (the cooking device) makes that fanlike noise? While an infrared device (electric heater), visible light device (a flashlight), x-ray machine do not make any sound. My microwave does not have a turn table, so, the mechanical movement is ruled out.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2010 #2

Borg

Gold Member

The noise is from the fan that is used to cool the magnetron.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_components_in_a_microwave_oven" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. May 7, 2010 #3
    and to remove heat from the cooking area...

take one apart sometime

5. May 7, 2010 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...and moisture.

6. May 7, 2010 #5
    why does it have to remove heat and moisture from the cooking area?

7. May 7, 2010 #6
    stick a potato in your microwave for 30 minutes---

when the buzzer goes off---check to see if its hot and how much moisture is left

8. May 7, 2010 #7
    You would not want to open the microwave door and have very hot steam hit you in the face, or hands.

9. May 7, 2010 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

30 minutes on high? It will probably burst into flames.

10. May 7, 2010 #9
    I can even feel the wind from my microwave coming from under it.

11. May 7, 2010 #10

Borg

Gold Member

LOL. I just remembered that I had a girlfriend who cooked a hot dog for 10 minutes once.
    It ruined the plate and didn't do much for the hot dog either. I can only imagine what 30 minutes would have done. :rolleyes:

12. May 7, 2010 #11
    When I saw the title of this thread I was wondering why it is in the general discussion area and I got so excited because I thought it was about http://i16.tinypic.com/4v61kz8.jpg" microwave noise. :biggrin:

Microwaving a potato for 30 mins is dangerous! I ought to try that...good way to live on the edge:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  13. May 7, 2010 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds a bit like the guys who lived in the other half of the dorm I lived in for college. Our side was all women, and their side was co-ed (two colleges sharing one building). The men on their side used to do things like cook popcorn for 10 minutes. :rolleyes: We never quite figured out if they were complete idiots or just wanted to see the women on our side exit in our nightclothes when they set off the smoke detectors. We pretty much chalked it up to a little of both since none of us was going to date such a moron. :rofl:

14. May 7, 2010 #13
    This thread reminds me of a youtube "show" that I watch on occasion:

http://www.youtube.com/show/isitagoodideatomicrowavethis [Broken]

They're in their 8th season. Pretty impressive. Here's a good example:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. May 7, 2010 #14
    There is also the noise from the scattering mechanism which is a metal fan to scatter the microwaves more evenly. If you're worried, fetch a fluorescent light and test for leaks.

16. May 8, 2010 #15
    :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook