Solve the Microwave Quandary: 4 Roommates and Boiling Oil

• Thread starter NewGuy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where the top wall of a microwave oven has melted and formed boils, possibly due to the evaporation of oil or misuse by one of the users. The speaker suggests that it may be due to localized thermal runaway or the use of inappropriate materials in the microwave. They also mention that this type of damage should not affect the functionality of the oven.
NewGuy1
Hello
It would be awesome if anyone can help me with this.
The center of the top wall of my microwave oven seems to have melted and the coating has formed boils about 1cm in radius. My roommate thinks its because of the evaporation of oil in the food that someone microwaved for too long, sticking to the top and melting the plastic coating. He says the boiling point of oil is about the same as the melting point of the plastic, and therefore that was what happened. This doesn't seem plausible. I think its because of someone microwaving something pressurized (there are four of us using the oven and no one is confessing to misuse.) What do you think happened?
Background: We mostly use the oven to microwave vegetables or frozen food. Nothing more than 5-10 Mins tops.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Smoke point of oil is around 150-250 C, well before the boiling point. Plastic can be a lot of different things depending on the kind it is... I'm sure they use a high-tolerance plastic for microwaves, probably higher than 250 C.

On the other hand, localized thermal runaway can occur in microwaves. But I don't know what real world conditions cause it to occur (I'm not an engineer). They're not like conventional ovens where they monitor maintain a constant temperature though; microwave ovens just keep dumping energy into the box the whole time they are running.

More likely one of the users put in some dish or package that was not appropriate for microwave use. If that caused a hot spot from reflected/focused microwaves, you could get some internal damage to the oven.
Do note that the wrong stuff in the microwave can produce flames, which would also do the kind of damage you describe.
The consolation is that this should not affect the functioning of the unit, even if it looks bad.

What is the "Microwave Quandary"?

The "Microwave Quandary" refers to a hypothetical situation where four roommates are trying to cook a meal using a single microwave, but they also have to boil oil for another dish. This poses a problem because the microwave cannot be used for both tasks at the same time.

Why can't the microwave be used for both tasks simultaneously?

Microwaves use electromagnetic waves to heat food by agitating water molecules. Boiling oil, on the other hand, requires much higher temperatures and cannot be achieved with the same type of radiation. Additionally, the oil can cause significant damage to the microwave if it is heated inside.

What are the potential solutions to the "Microwave Quandary"?

One solution would be to use a separate stovetop or hot plate to boil the oil while the microwave is used for cooking. Another option is to stagger the cooking times so that the microwave can be used for both tasks separately. Some microwaves also have a separate "grill" function that can reach higher temperatures and may be suitable for boiling oil.

Is it safe to boil oil in a microwave?

No, it is not safe to boil oil in a microwave. The high temperatures and potential for splattering can cause significant damage to the microwave and potentially start a fire. It is always recommended to use a stovetop or hot plate for boiling oil.

How can this situation be avoided in the future?

This situation can be avoided by clearly communicating with roommates about meal preparation plans and coordinating use of appliances. It may also be helpful to invest in a larger microwave or additional cooking equipment, such as a hot plate, to accommodate multiple cooking tasks simultaneously.