1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microwave safe cups

1. Oct 29, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a comment on cups. Assuming that it was microwave safe, I recently put a new coffee cup in the nuke. After heating my coffee, I grabbed the cup and received a second degree burn - about half the size of a dime - with a small third degree burn [charring] in a portion of the first! Now that's hot. Based on my experience with temp controlled soldering irons [many burns], I'd guess that cup handle was 500 - 700 degrees F. :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2004 #2
    What did Tsunami say?

If you were really smart, you could turn this into a court case that could potentially land you several million dollars.

4. Oct 29, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Knowing Tsu, she was probably laughing at me. :biggrin:

5. Oct 29, 2004 #4

Tsu

Gold Member

:surprised :surprised :surprised
    WhatEVER makes you think THAT???
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Actually I told him to put some neosporin on it after he cleaned it up. Did he do that, you ask?????? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of COURSE not!!!! So... suffer, baby, suffer!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. Oct 29, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My finger is fine. Now if I could only move my arm! :cry:

7. Oct 29, 2004 #6
    You do seem to be typing just okay because I don't see you making any typos.

For a person who just suffered from a 700 degree burn, that is quite an achievement. :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?