Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microwave safe cups

1. Oct 29, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a comment on cups. Assuming that it was microwave safe, I recently put a new coffee cup in the nuke. After heating my coffee, I grabbed the cup and received a second degree burn - about half the size of a dime - with a small third degree burn [charring] in a portion of the first! Now that's hot. Based on my experience with temp controlled soldering irons [many burns], I'd guess that cup handle was 500 - 700 degrees F. :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2004 #2
    What did Tsunami say?

If you were really smart, you could turn this into a court case that could potentially land you several million dollars.

4. Oct 29, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Knowing Tsu, she was probably laughing at me. :biggrin:

5. Oct 29, 2004 #4

Tsu

Gold Member

:surprised :surprised :surprised
    WhatEVER makes you think THAT???
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Actually I told him to put some neosporin on it after he cleaned it up. Did he do that, you ask?????? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of COURSE not!!!! So... suffer, baby, suffer!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. Oct 29, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My finger is fine. Now if I could only move my arm! :cry:

7. Oct 29, 2004 #6
    You do seem to be typing just okay because I don't see you making any typos.

For a person who just suffered from a 700 degree burn, that is quite an achievement. :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?