Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microwave transformer

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    I have the transformer from a microwave that has the few turns and big windings on one side and the other side must have smaller turns I was just wondering if you apply 115 volt ac to the larger number of windings what would come out the heavier windings? I am just wondering if this can be used as a car battery charger or arc welder or any other use before I take it apart?

John

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2013 #2
    MoT can be used for a number of things but I must caution you, they are dangerous. You can kill yourself playing around with them so I always suggest people that are not extremely familiar with electricity to stay away from them.

To clarify, MoT are dangerous because they put out medium voltage (~2000 volts or so, depending on the model) with high current (~550 mA or so, depending on the model.)

The number of mA it takes to kill you depends on a number of things, but if I recall correctly 50 mA or higher can be lethal.

Another edit to link you to a thread I just found by using google. It's a 3 page discussion of MoT.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=326706

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook