Microwave Transmitter/Receiver

• Thread starter JSapit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
In summary, a microwave transmitter and receiver were set up with two flat metal plates facing them. The beam from the transmitter was broad enough to reflect from both plates. As the lower plate was moved, the microwave power at the receiver was graphed in increments of 1.0 cm. The wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation was determined to be 3 cm, calculated from the distance between two maxima on the graph. The ratio of the amplitudes of the electromagnetic radiation entering the detector for the two maxima was then calculated.
JSapit

Homework Statement

A microwave transmitter (T) and receiver (R) are set up side by side as shown.

https://chip.physics.purdue.edu/protected/Giambattista2EMimg/F25-5a.gif"

Two flat metal plates (M) that are good reflectors for microwaves face the transmitter and receiver, several meters away. The beam from the transmitter is broad enough to reflect from both metal plates. As the lower plate is slowly moved to the right, the microwave power at the receiver is a function of x is shown in the graph below, in which each interval along the horizontal axis equals 1.0 cm.

https://chip.physics.purdue.edu/protected/Giambattista2EMimg/p25-11alt.gif"

(a) What is the wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation?

(b) What is the ratio of the amplitudes of the electromagnetic radiation entering the detector for the two maxima shown?

first / second =

Homework Equations

F=1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. I know that the frequency is 1/T, but they don't give us time. I'm not sure what to do with the increasing increments on the graph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are there maxima and minima? What determines where they occur relative to x?

Because of the constructive and destructive interference? And is is the phase shift?

this is too hard for anyone on here to be able to figure out

Anyone? I'm really lost :/

JSapit said:
Because of the constructive and destructive interference? And is is the phase shift?

Yes and Yes. Now what is the distance on the graph from maximum to maximum in centimeters? How many wavelengths or fractions of a wavelength would the plate have to move to go from constructive to destructive to constructive interference? Finally you need to relate the distance from maximum to maximum in centimeters to the distance in wavelengths the plate would have to move to go from constructive interference to constructive interference.

Would the wavelength just be 3 cm, read straight from the graph? I tried that, but it didn't work. Sorry, but I'm a little confused with your explanation. Would the apparatus just move 1cm to get to destructive interference, and then another 1cm to get to constructive interference? I'm not quite sure how to read the graph.

Okay...I got part two of the question, which was read straight off the graph...

JSapit said:
Would the wavelength just be 3 cm, read straight from the graph? I tried that, but it didn't work. Sorry, but I'm a little confused with your explanation. Would the apparatus just move 1cm to get to destructive interference, and then another 1cm to get to constructive interference? I'm not quite sure how to read the graph.

No, the distance between the two maxima is 3 cm but don't forget the the microwaves have to travel that distance twice, once from the transmitter to the plate and again from the plate to the receiver. So what would the wavelength have to be to have two maxima at 3 cm apart?

JSapit said:
the microwave power at the receiver is a function of x is shown in the graph below, in which each interval along the horizontal axis equals 1.0 cm.

So if each vertical line is 1 cm then the first maximum is at 1.5 cm. The minimum is at 3 cm and as you pointed out the two maxima are 3 cm apart so the second one is at 4.5 cm.

Ah hah! I got it! Thank you so much Skeptic!

1. What is a microwave transmitter/receiver?

A microwave transmitter/receiver is a device that uses electromagnetic waves in the microwave frequency range to transmit and receive information. It is commonly used in communication systems, radar systems, and for various scientific and industrial applications.

2. How does a microwave transmitter/receiver work?

A microwave transmitter/receiver works by converting electrical signals into microwave signals and vice versa. The transmitter generates microwave signals using an oscillator and amplifies them before sending them through an antenna. The receiver picks up the microwave signals using an antenna and converts them back to electrical signals for further processing.

3. What are the key components of a microwave transmitter/receiver?

The key components of a microwave transmitter/receiver include an oscillator, an amplifier, a modulator, a demodulator, an antenna, and various control and power supply circuits. These components work together to generate and transmit microwave signals and receive and process incoming signals.

4. What are the advantages of using a microwave transmitter/receiver?

Microwave transmitters/receivers offer several advantages, such as high data transmission rates, low signal loss, and the ability to transmit and receive signals over long distances without the need for physical cables. They are also relatively compact and can be easily integrated into various devices and systems.

5. What are some common applications of a microwave transmitter/receiver?

Microwave transmitters/receivers have a wide range of applications, including wireless communication systems (such as Wi-Fi and cellular networks), radar systems (for military, weather forecasting, and air traffic control), satellite communication, microwave ovens, and medical imaging systems.