Microwaved Food Safety: Is Stove Cooking Safer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the safety of microwaved food and the claim that the oscillating water molecules in the food can be dangerous to us. However, this claim is debunked as the molecules simply represent heat and will disperse in time. The myth of superheating water in a microwave is also mentioned, which is not specific to microwaves but can happen with any heat source. It is also noted that superheating is more likely to occur in a microwave due to the lack of thermal gradients.
SolitonWave
I need to runs this by some others to make sure it checks out. The guy that runs bugsweeps.com claims that microwaved food is dangerous. He claims that the water molecules in the food keep oscillating at 2450 MHz after the food is removed from the oven and this is somehow dangerous to us. So cooking on a stove (with traditional heat - akin to white noise) is safe and natural.
My point is that once you take the food out of the oven it is out of the gradient created by the field (the direction of rotation created by the microwave). So the 2nd law of thermodymanics would kick in and start adding entropy to the system ,thereby randomizing the vibrations of the water molecules. So after a minute or so you should have same result as heating on a flame.

I know, this is sort of stupid.

Science news on Phys.org
I heard a modern myth that some guy was microwaving water and al the energy was going around in the bowl with nothing to diffuse into, and when the guy blew on the water it exploded hot water onto his face. I highly doubt this but maybe possible if you found a fabled perfectly round glass bowl

SolitonWave said:
I need to runs this by some others to make sure it checks out. The guy that runs bugsweeps.com claims that microwaved food is dangerous. He claims that the water molecules in the food keep oscillating at 2450 MHz after the food is removed from the oven and this is somehow dangerous to us. So cooking on a stove (with traditional heat - akin to white noise) is safe and natural.
This is BS. Those oscillating molecules - that's what is called heat. To say that more of the molecules are oscillating only means the thing is hotter. I can get the same result by flame heating for longer. Lacking further explanation of what exactly is bad about oscillations at that frequency (which, as you've pointed out, will disperse in time), this claim is bogus.

Ki Man said:
I heard a modern myth that some guy was microwaving water and al the energy was going around in the bowl with nothing to diffuse into, and when the guy blew on the water it exploded hot water onto his face. I highly doubt this but maybe possible if you found a fabled perfectly round glass bowl

This is an example of superheating a liquid and has nothing to do with microwaves as much as any other method of heating a liquid above its normal boiling point and then introducing nucleation points.

slider142 said:
This is an example of superheating a liquid and has nothing to do with microwaves as much as any other method of heating a liquid above its normal boiling point and then introducing nucleation points.
It is important to note, however, that it is much easier to superheat a liquid in a microwave (where you do not introduce large thermal gradients in the liquid) than with a conventional heat source, where the temperature gradient provides convection flow inside the liquid, making it less likely to superheat.

-Possibly O.T. content removed-

Last edited:

1. Is microwaving food safe?

Yes, microwaving food is generally considered safe as long as proper precautions are taken.

2. How does microwaving food differ from stove cooking in terms of safety?

The main difference between microwaving food and stove cooking in terms of safety is the way heat is generated. Microwaves use electromagnetic waves to heat up food, while stoves use direct heat from a flame or heating element. Both methods are safe as long as food is cooked to the appropriate temperature.

3. Are there any health risks associated with microwaving food?

There is no evidence to suggest that microwaving food poses any significant health risks. However, it is important to use microwave-safe containers and follow recommended cooking times to prevent burns or foodborne illness.

4. Can microwaved food cause cancer?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that microwaved food can cause cancer. The electromagnetic waves used in microwaves are not powerful enough to cause any changes in the chemical composition of food that could lead to cancer.

5. Is it safe to microwave plastic containers?

It is generally safe to microwave plastic containers that are labeled as microwave-safe. However, some plastics may release harmful chemicals when heated, so it is important to follow the instructions on the packaging and only use containers that are specifically designed for microwave use.