Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microwaves and bluetooth

1. Aug 22, 2008 #1
    Dear All,
    Please excuse my ignorance of physics. According to some Russian research 1 mW of microwave radiation could be considered safe for the brain (ie. it won't cause brain damage). I therefore considered that if a 1 W cellphone is damaging to the brain then perhaps it's a good idea to use a 1 mW Bluetooth earphone (which has a range of 1 m) and carry the cellphone on a waist belt. My question is - how much microwave radiation will reach the brain anyway from the waist-carried cellphone ? In other words if the cellphone is giving out 1 W of microwaves - then how much (roughly) less will reach the brain if the cellphone is 50 cm away compared with only 1 cm ?

I look forward to your answers. Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The radiation falls of as an inverse square law, so for every doubling of distance the radiation is 1/4 as much.

The easiest way to picture it is to imagine a sphere expanding out from the cell phone.
    So at 50cm away the sphere will have a radius of 50cm and a surface area of 4 pi r^2 (or 32000cm^2) so each cm^2 at the distance of your head receives 1/32000 of the total energy, if you head is roughy 20x20cm, it has a cross sectiona area of 400cm^2 and so gets about 1% of the total area of the sphere and so 1% of the radiation.

In reality it's a bit more complicated depending on the exact pattern of radiation from the antennae.

There's no evidence of damage to your brain from a cell phone and no obvious mechanism. But keeping the phone on a belt and using a headset would reduce the power at your head.

4. Aug 22, 2008 #3
    Many thanks for your reply. So I suppose that the difference between 1 cm and 32 cm is 5 doublings - which means that the radiation difference is 0.25 x 0.25 x 0.25 x 0.25 x 0.25 which would be about 1 mW from a 1 W cellphone. I suppose this is good news except that your brain would be receiving 1 mW from the bluetooth and 1 mW from the cellphone = 2 mW. On a similar note does anyone know the wattage of the microwave transmitter found in a Fujitsu Siemens laptop which can be used as wireless internet connection to a modem 5 m away ?

5. Aug 22, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The power limit for Wifi is 1Watt, for bluetooth it is 100mw for 100m range class 1 devices or 1mw for class 3.
    Agin it is complicated by the antenae design and the system can reduce the power if it can get an acceptable signal to noise

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?