Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microwaves with Nothing Inside

1. Feb 8, 2007 #1
    Can the microwaves emitted from a microwave that is turned on and running with nothing in it have an effect on nearby electronics, i.e. computers, cell phones, surround sound receivers?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2007 #2
    Yes, microwave energy can leak out of your oven and interfere with nearby electronics. I've found that the electronics most affected are those that use the 2.4 GHz band, which is where the oven operates. 802.11 wireless cards and cordless phones are especially susceptible.

I've measured leakage from ovens, and it can be all over the map, depending on the quality of the shielding (especially around the door). Running the oven empty probably means that even more energy is leaking out.

4. Feb 8, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

There probably is small leakage, but not enough to harm us. The shielding on the door is usually enough to stop enough from leaking out. But for sensitive electronics, the situation is otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  5. Feb 8, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Most microwave ovens have a warning in their User's Guides about not running the oven without a load (something to heat). I think it can cause the magnetron to overheat maybe? Or maybe it can cause too high emissions as you are implying. If you can find a User's Guide or Owner's Manual to an oven, it will probably say. Maybe you can find one online at a manufacturer's website.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?