Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mid air Stall

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    Hey guys,

Even iam trying to find out the reason behind the midair stalling of an aircraft if it really exists. The truth is iam not able to get the correct and validated reason for the query.

So i request you guys once more to take up this issue and answer this query which is really bugging since a long time.

Will be appreciated if an guy from aerodynamics can answer this question.
    Hoping for an validated reason at the earliest.

Regards
    raghu

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hope this is okay -- I moved this from a homework forum to this Aerospace Engineering forum. Sounds more like a general conceptual question, and the OP will get the best help here.

4. Nov 14, 2006 #3
    reply berkeman

Hey , dint get you are you trying to answer the question ???? pls be clear...
    can post it if you get the answer.

Raghu

5. Nov 14, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No sir, I wasn't trying to answer the question. But I was trying to help get you an answer to your question. You posted your question in the homework forums, which is generally a good idea. But your question sounded general enough that I thought it best to move it to the specialized Aeronautical forum, where it might get more exposure from the wide varitey of experts. Please give it overnight to get some views (it's almost midnight now on the US west coast), and hopefully you'll get some responses in the next day or so.

Welcome to the PF, by the way. It's a very valuable place, and very helpful.

6. Nov 14, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Raghu, I hope that you are not making the common mistake of thinking that a stall in an aircraft is the same as a stall in a car. It has nothing to do with engine function. In an aeroplane, a stall occurs when the airflow around the wings is no longer sufficient to provide lift. This is most often encountered when the angle of attack of the wing exceeds a particular level at a given forward airspeed, although a sudden severe drop in ambient air pressure could have the same result.

7. Nov 14, 2006 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Mid-air stalling versus what, on the ground stalling? (sorry for being sarcastic).

Stalling definitely happens. What makes you think it doesn't? Since Danger already gave you the Reader's Digest version, here's some more information to get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stall_(flight)

First, let's start with what YOU are calling a "stall." Please define the particular situation you are trying to look into.

8. Nov 14, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

While I normally don't trust Wiki much, that's a really good article. Thanks, Fred.
    Puts me in mind of what the old Sopwith pilots used to say: "Pull the stick back to go up; pull it back some more to come down." :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?