Investigating Midair Stalling of an Aircraft

• Thread starter Raghu K Mohandas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aircraft
In summary, the person is asking for a valid reason for the midair stalling of an aircraft. They are hoping for an answer from someone with knowledge in aerodynamics.
Raghu K Mohandas
Hey guys,

Even iam trying to find out the reason behind the midair stalling of an aircraft if it really exists. The truth is iam not able to get the correct and validated reason for the query.

So i request you guys once more to take up this issue and answer this query which is really bugging since a long time.

Will be appreciated if an guy from aerodynamics can answer this question.
Hoping for an validated reason at the earliest.

Regards
raghu

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hope this is okay -- I moved this from a homework forum to this Aerospace Engineering forum. Sounds more like a general conceptual question, and the OP will get the best help here.

reply berkeman

berkeman said:
Hope this is okay -- I moved this from a homework forum to this Aerospace Engineering forum. Sounds more like a general conceptual question, and the OP will get the best help here.

Hey , dint get you are you trying to answer the question ? pls be clear...
can post it if you get the answer.

Raghu

No sir, I wasn't trying to answer the question. But I was trying to help get you an answer to your question. You posted your question in the homework forums, which is generally a good idea. But your question sounded general enough that I thought it best to move it to the specialized Aeronautical forum, where it might get more exposure from the wide varitey of experts. Please give it overnight to get some views (it's almost midnight now on the US west coast), and hopefully you'll get some responses in the next day or so.

Welcome to the PF, by the way. It's a very valuable place, and very helpful.

Raghu, I hope that you are not making the common mistake of thinking that a stall in an aircraft is the same as a stall in a car. It has nothing to do with engine function. In an aeroplane, a stall occurs when the airflow around the wings is no longer sufficient to provide lift. This is most often encountered when the angle of attack of the wing exceeds a particular level at a given forward airspeed, although a sudden severe drop in ambient air pressure could have the same result.

Mid-air stalling versus what, on the ground stalling? (sorry for being sarcastic).

Stalling definitely happens. What makes you think it doesn't? Since Danger already gave you the Reader's Digest version, here's some more information to get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stall_(flight )

First, let's start with what YOU are calling a "stall." Please define the particular situation you are trying to look into.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I normally don't trust Wiki much, that's a really good article. Thanks, Fred.
Puts me in mind of what the old Sopwith pilots used to say: "Pull the stick back to go up; pull it back some more to come down." :biggrin:

What is midair stalling of an aircraft?

Midair stalling of an aircraft occurs when the wings of the aircraft are no longer able to produce enough lift to keep the aircraft in the air. This can happen when the angle of attack of the aircraft is too high, causing the airflow over the wings to become turbulent and lose lift. It is a dangerous situation that can lead to loss of control and potentially a crash.

What causes midair stalling of an aircraft?

There are several factors that can contribute to midair stalling of an aircraft, including high angles of attack, low airspeed, and changes in weight or balance of the aircraft. Other factors such as icing on the wings or mechanical issues can also increase the likelihood of midair stalling.

How can midair stalling be prevented?

To prevent midair stalling, pilots must be aware of the aircraft's weight and balance, maintain proper airspeed, and avoid high angles of attack. They should also regularly check for any mechanical issues and be prepared to handle unexpected changes in weather conditions. Proper training and experience in aircraft handling can also help prevent midair stalling.

What are the consequences of midair stalling?

The consequences of midair stalling can be severe, ranging from loss of control and potential crash to damage of the aircraft and injuries to passengers. In some cases, midair stalling can also lead to loss of life. It is a serious situation that must be avoided at all costs.

How do scientists investigate midair stalling of an aircraft?

Scientists use various methods to investigate midair stalling, including wind tunnel testing, flight simulations, and analysis of flight data. They also conduct experiments to study the aerodynamics of aircraft and how they can be affected by different conditions. This research helps to improve our understanding of midair stalling and develop strategies to prevent it in the future.