1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mid-life career change

1. Oct 31, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I am basically 45 years old postgraduate in statistics but, unfortunately, I joined private manufacturing company and worked there for 20 years. Now I have resigned from a job and searching new opportunities. But it is very difficult to get a job as industry won't accept me due to the problem in resume ( I have worked in different domains in the same company) . Academics will not accept me due to the gap in education. Should I pursue Mathematics degree ( because it interests me and, here in India, there are many teaching opportunities ) to try my hand in academics or stick to search in industry till I get the right opportunity? I hope I was able to explain my story. Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

It seems that teaching would be a good option where you could study on the side and teach math subjects upto to your level.

Here in the states to teach a community college you need a MS in Math to teach or a MS and at least 20 grad credit hours in Math.

You could also consider getting an graduate degree in the "teaching of math". It's not the same as a graduate math degree might be doable.

The only other option I can think of is to go back for MS in comp-sic and branch out into fields like data analytics where your statistics knowledge could be leveraged.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook