Help Needed: Surviving Year-Long Placement with Mid-Semester Report

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student on a year-long placement that involves meaningless tasks unrelated to their thesis. They have a mid-semester report due, worth 10% of their overall degree, but have received little guidance on what should be included. The report is limited to 2000 words and the speaker is working with Hubble and Chandra data. They express frustration at the lack of training in thesis writing and the pressure to produce high-quality research. The advice given is to look for examples of well-received papers and consult their advisor for help. Additionally, the speaker is encouraged to use resources such as Arxix for guidance on organizing their paper and to properly cite all sources.
The_shadow
Hi guys,

I'm an undergraduate studying at uni currently on a year long "placement". I say "placement", more like "do meaningless tasks that benefit my advisor and his research" - but ultimately nothing to do with my thesis. Anyway since my advisor puts in no effort and the university have completely abandoned me (This is what I get for being the top student - lesson for you folks, don't bother). Anyway I have a mid semester report due and its worth about 10% of my overall degree. All I have been given in the way of advice is the data and time at which its due. Great. So my question is this - what do I need to include?? I assume the structure is say:

Introduction - observations, data reduction ect??
method? how much detail do I go into?
What I will do - yeah like I have any freaking idea

Its a 2000 word limit. I'm working with Hubble and Chandra data. I really need advice - its ridiculous I'm a third year under grad and expected to produce Ph.D. quality research with nothing more that a library card and thesis title! Have had no training in thesis writing dissertation or anything - I've been sat in a class room for the last two years studying - This is way to much pressure!

Any and all coments welcome. Thanks guys!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Find examples of well received past papers. They will serve as a template to follow. I would imagine your advisor is willing to help upon request. This is more a test of your research and organizational skills. I doubt anyone is expecting a thesis quality paper with this excercise. Arxix is another resource you can consult for examples of how ]and sometimes how not] to organize a paper. Whatever you do, do not forget to give citations!

1. What is a mid-semester report?

A mid-semester report is a progress report that is typically required during a year-long placement or internship. It summarizes the work you have done so far and evaluates your performance against the goals and objectives set for the placement.

2. How should I prepare for my mid-semester report?

To prepare for your mid-semester report, make sure to keep track of your work and accomplishments throughout the placement. Review any goals or objectives set at the beginning of the placement and assess your progress. It can also be helpful to gather feedback from your supervisor or colleagues.

3. What should be included in a mid-semester report?

A mid-semester report should include a summary of the work you have done, any challenges you have faced, and your progress towards achieving the goals and objectives set for the placement. It may also include any feedback or evaluations from your supervisor or colleagues.

4. How important is the mid-semester report?

The mid-semester report is an important tool for evaluating your progress and performance during a year-long placement. It can also be used to identify any areas for improvement and make necessary adjustments for the remainder of the placement. Additionally, it may be required for academic or professional purposes.

5. What if I am struggling during my year-long placement?

If you are struggling during your year-long placement, it is important to communicate with your supervisor or mentor. They may be able to provide guidance and support to help you improve and successfully complete the placement. Additionally, reaching out to colleagues or seeking additional resources can also be beneficial.