1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Middle of a Frozen Lake!

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    I have this question I have to do for my physics class... I have been thinking about it for an hour now, but can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. here is the question:

You find yourself in the middle of a frozen lake with a slippery surface so slippery (ms = 0, mk = 0) that you cannot walk. However, you happen to have several rocks in your pocket. The ice is extremely hard. It cannot be chipped. The rocks slip on the ice as much (if not better) than your feet do. Can you think of a way to get to the shore? Use free body diagrams and Newton's laws to explain your reasoning.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2
    this may be erroneous but here goes anyway

couldnt you simply throw the rocks in the opposite direction of the shore

This way because of conservation of momentum you will get pushed forward. I guess you should throw them all at once that way you get max acceleration. Otherwise the momentum mayb e not be enough to make you move. You wont slow down becuase there is no firciton.
  4. Mar 6, 2005 #3
    I was kind of thinking about something like that, but I don't know if I can use it because we have not studied the conservation of momentum yet. If I did do that, how would I draw the free body diagram? Thanks.
  5. Mar 6, 2005 #4
    thats the best solution. That is newtons 3'd law. When you throw the rock in the opposite direction, there is an equal and opposite force on you. Now just put the diagram together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?