Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Middle School Anti-Bullying Lesson Includes Lesbian Role Play

1. May 4, 2013 #1
    http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarne...llying-lesson-includes-lesbian-role-play.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2013 #2
    The actual Date Safe Project website:
    http://www.datesafeproject.org/ciky-k12/ [Broken]

to get an idea of what the Fox reporter is describing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. May 4, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not really seeing the problem.

I think the only problem here is that fox is (probably) not giving an accurate report of what happened.

5. May 4, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

If this is true, then it's plain ridiculous. The school should only be concerned with teaching academics and extracurricular actives as well as enforcing anti-bullying policies. Things like sex, sexual orientation, and mother of god pansexualism should be things left to the parents of the children. Making a girl unwillingly ask another girl for a kiss, even if just to prove a point, is just plain wrong. If I were in that same situation I would be extremely uncomfortable, especially in front of friends / peers.

6. May 4, 2013 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

IMHO That's over the top.

I had a schoolteacher aunt who, in the sixties, had days where students with blue eyes or brown eyes or different hair colors were made to sit in the back of the class and go last to lunch, etc.

She got the "you're less than" and "bullying" points across to the kids without referring to sex or aberrant behavior.

7. May 4, 2013 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to assume this report is one-sided, distorted, and sensationalized. Like all news.

There is a lot of context missing. For example, the statement that "It's normal for 14 year-olds to have sex" was probably during a lesson about not bullying people just because they've had sex. Perhaps it was stated the wrong way, though...I don't think we, as a society, want 14-year-olds to be having sex (even though we know that they do).

That specific example is the only one I really have a problem with. I think young people absolutely need to be exposed to the existence of LGBT people, and taught to treat them like human beings and not targets of bullying and shaming. In bigger cities, you are exposed to this naturally, because there are a lot of different people in such places. But in Middle America that sort of thing is hushed and hidden out of sight.

My first thought on seeing the thread titles was "And what's wrong with lesbian role-play?" People need to understand one another. However, I am a little skeptical of the effectiveness of anti-bullying education in the first place...it seems that "Teacher said we shouldn't bully" is actually a motivator for certain types of people to get meaner.

8. May 5, 2013 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I certainly saw nothing wrong with the video, and I'll never believe anything that Fox News presents. We all know what lying rabid homophobic bible-thumpers they are. Not only will they not present any opposing facts, but they actively make up facts to support their own agenda.
    This is a non-issue.

9. May 6, 2013 #8
    I love that this is the last thing in the article. A rather enthusiastic link to purchase a book by the author. Great juxtaposition, Fox.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013
  10. May 6, 2013 #9

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What's next?

My apologies for not looking at any of the links, but when I saw this was a Fox News inspired thread, I decided not to read past the first sentence in the OP's quote.

Thanks for the laughs everyone!

11. May 6, 2013 #10

Wait, was this an actual article title?

12. May 7, 2013 #11

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Ditto.

13. May 7, 2013 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Um...... no.

Given the difference in responses, we should take a pole on whether people read the fox article, or watched the video.

I think the video is great.

SCCREEEEEEECCHH!!!!!

What the hell?

Bootleggers!

The article is a bit long, but kind of makes Fox look like what many of us already perceive them to be....... [insert your own favorite expletive]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  14. May 7, 2013 #13

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

This looks like media sensationalism. On the subject of sex-ed and bullying I think it's very important that sexuality is taught in all its diversity rather than just from a heterosexual viewpoint. Firstly because it normalises what is traditionally considered not normal and secondly because it will raise awareness in children that is sorely lacking in many adults today.

15. May 9, 2013 #14

Danger

Gold Member

That would be a great contest! Find applicable expletives for Fox! There must be dozens.
    Oh, wait... Forum guidelines won't allow it. Too bad, because I have over half a dozen that all fit together in a compact string.

16. May 9, 2013 #15

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is why I also belong to Facebook. There, you can swear like ******* drunken sailor. Although my sister doesn't like it when I do that. So this past New Years Eve, after thinking about George Carlin, and how I never knew when he was angry, as he always cussed like a ******* drunken sailer, resoluted*, not to swear. It lasted about 3 weeks, at which point I carpet F-bombed a 20 year acquaintance.

"Women *****, because, they can't ****, nor ****, in public, and would explode if not given that exit. Men swear, because, farting and burping, are god given rights, and we simply don't know how to properly *****. Ergo, we must swear."

Wait! What the hell does this have to do with 13 year old Lesbians?

I do believe, that we have gone off topic.

(hic!)

-------------------------
    * **** you! Stinkin' grammar Nazi!

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  17. May 9, 2013 #16

Danger

Gold Member

Your badge is well-worn, my son. :approve:

18. May 12, 2013 #17
    Had sex education done in my Science class when I was 14. We were taught about condoms, etc. Didn't hear any issues raised.

Remember, most Republicans policies are religion-based, and that having sex outside of marriage - or being a homosexual - is out of the equation.

And it was Sarah Palin who said it was God who told her to run for Vice-President. What did God's voice sound like, Mrs Palin? Don't know why Fox get her to contribute to various conversations. But hey, probably pre-written and rehearsed.

19. May 12, 2013 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Oh, come on now... it's obvious. She's that useless chunk of wood carved to represent a woman that is nailed to the prow of their ship-of-state.
    I still find it hilarious that her oh-so-pious unwed teen daughter had a baby and is now preaching abstinence.

20. May 12, 2013 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I will have to PM you a picture of the woman nailed to the prow of my friend's boat. She's quite the lady. And of course, totally useless. Except for screaming purposes of course; "Om! Don't scratch her ******!"

ummm.... winching the boat up on the trailer, that is......

People love to complain.

Now, now.... Live and learn.

-----------------------
    * Anglicized plural of the German word for boy.

21. May 12, 2013 #20

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

She's wearing her A with dignity, i'd say.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook