Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MIDI to MP3

1. Dec 11, 2003 #1
    Does anyone know of a program or method to translate MIDI files into MP3 format? There are a number of freeware or shareware MIDI sites that don't mention the legality of downloading a file, so I assume that it is legal. There are some really great MIDI conversions out there but the program I have for burning CDs (Roxio) doesn't support anything like this.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd think just about any midi program can convert midi to wav... does you burning software also support wav?

- Warren

4. Dec 11, 2003 #3
    soundforge or of you want the whole package try musicmatch at www.musicmatch.com. It's free

5. Dec 11, 2003 #4
    MIDI files generally output low-res tinny sounds. I find them handy for composing music (and also their extraordinary small size). But for casual listening, I tend to just find a recording of the song in MP3 format. Much better in terms of sound quality

If you do want to put MIDIs on a CD, id take chroot's suggestion and convert the MIDI to Wav. I have the Roxio CD burner (Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum Edition), and it wont accept Wav files. Because of that, convert the .wav file into .mp3 format, then burn it on the CD.

6. Dec 11, 2003 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What a piece of crap! A CD burning program that won't let you burn WAVs to CD-DA? CD-DA *is* WAV!

Perhaps you should get another CD burning program....

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?