1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MIDI to MP3

1. Dec 11, 2003 #1
    Does anyone know of a program or method to translate MIDI files into MP3 format? There are a number of freeware or shareware MIDI sites that don't mention the legality of downloading a file, so I assume that it is legal. There are some really great MIDI conversions out there but the program I have for burning CDs (Roxio) doesn't support anything like this.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd think just about any midi program can convert midi to wav... does you burning software also support wav?

- Warren

4. Dec 11, 2003 #3
    soundforge or of you want the whole package try musicmatch at www.musicmatch.com. It's free

5. Dec 11, 2003 #4
    MIDI files generally output low-res tinny sounds. I find them handy for composing music (and also their extraordinary small size). But for casual listening, I tend to just find a recording of the song in MP3 format. Much better in terms of sound quality

If you do want to put MIDIs on a CD, id take chroot's suggestion and convert the MIDI to Wav. I have the Roxio CD burner (Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum Edition), and it wont accept Wav files. Because of that, convert the .wav file into .mp3 format, then burn it on the CD.

6. Dec 11, 2003 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What a piece of crap! A CD burning program that won't let you burn WAVs to CD-DA? CD-DA *is* WAV!

Perhaps you should get another CD burning program....

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?