What is the electric field at a point midway between two point charges?

In summary, using the equation E(net) = E(1) + E(2), the electric field at a point midway between a -8.50μC and a +6.38μC charge 7.79 cm apart is -1.257x10^7 [N/C]. This is found by calculating the individual electric fields of each charge, 3.78x10^7 and -5.037x10^7, and adding them together. This is because the negative charge on the left and the positive charge on the right both contribute to the overall electric field in the same direction, thus their field strengths add.
spark693

Homework Statement

What is the electric field at a point midway between a -8.50μC and a +6.38μC charge 7.79 cm apart? Take the direction towards the positive charge to be positive. Assume no other charges are nearby.

Homework Equations

E(net) = E(1) + E(2)

E = (k*q)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

E(1) = (8.99 x10^-6 * 6.38x10^-6)/ (0.03895)^2
=3.78x10^7

E(2) = (8.99x10^-6 * -8.5x10^-6)/ (0.03895)^2
= -5.037x10^7

E(net) = 3.78x10^7 - 5.037x10^7
=-1.257x10^7 [N/C]

This is not one of the answer choices, and I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. I thought I understood how to do the problem, so it might just be a complete misunderstanding of what the question is asking? I'm not sure...

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I added the two final numbers together:

3.78x10^7 + 5.037x10^7 = 8.82x10^7

and got the right answer. But I don't understand - why would you add the negative charge?

A negative charge on the left exerts a field from right to left. A positive charge on the right does likewise, so the field strengths add.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the midpoint of an electric field?

The midpoint of an electric field is the point located exactly between two opposite charges in an electric field. It is the point where the electric potential is zero and the electric field strength is at its maximum.

2. How do you calculate the midpoint of an electric field?

To calculate the midpoint of an electric field, you need to know the positions and charges of the two opposite charges in the field. Then, use the formula r = d(Q1-Q2)/(Q1+Q2) to find the distance from the midpoint to each charge, where r is the distance from the midpoint and d is the distance between the two charges.

3. What is the significance of the midpoint of an electric field?

The midpoint of an electric field is significant because it represents the point of equilibrium between two opposite charges. This point has equal and opposite electric forces acting on it, resulting in a net electric field of zero.

4. Can the midpoint of an electric field be located outside of the two charges?

Yes, the midpoint of an electric field can be located outside of the two charges. This can happen when the two charges have different magnitudes, resulting in an uneven distribution of electric field strength between them.

5. How does the midpoint of an electric field affect the movement of charged particles?

The midpoint of an electric field does not affect the movement of charged particles directly. However, it is an important point to consider when analyzing the behavior of charged particles in an electric field, as it represents a point of balance between the electric forces acting on the particles. If a charged particle is located at the midpoint, it will experience no net force and will remain stationary.