1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Midterm Review

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the surface M parametrized by σ(u, v) = (sin u cos v, sin u sin v, 3 cos u), 0 < u < π, 0 < v < 2π.

(ii) Show that the surface is regular.

(iii) Let P = ([itex]\sqrt{2}/2, \sqrt{2}/2, 0)[/itex] in M. Find the matrix Sp with respect to the basis {σu(P), σv(P)} in TP(M).

2. Relevant equations

Surface is regular if σu x σv does not equal zero at any point in the domain.

3. The attempt at a solution

σu = (cos v cos u, sin v cos u, -3 sin u)

σv = (-sin u sin v, sin u cos v, 0)

σu x σv = (3 cos v sin2u, 3 sin2u sin v, sin u cos u)

||σu x σv|| = sqrt{9 sin4u + sin2u cos2u}

Of course, it looks like the norm of the vector product should simplify further.

I'm also unsure about the given basis for the matrix of the shape operator. By direction calculation, the matrix contains expressions of the first and second fundamental forms. Do I evaluate the partials at the point P and use those in the inner product calculations?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If u= 0 then [tex]\sigma_u\times \sigma_v= 0[/tex].

4. Sep 30, 2014 #3
    Yes. I'm a bit confused. It says to show that the surface is regular.

5. Oct 1, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The original description excluded the boundaries ##u =0##, ##u = \pi##, ##v = 0##, ##v = 2 \pi##.

6. Oct 1, 2014 #5
    Okay. It doesn't look like any combination of u and v in the domain yields (0, 0, 0), so I can state that it is regular. However, it seems that the norm argument should simplify a bit more.

7. Oct 1, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who cares? You just want to know if it = 0 or not.

8. Oct 1, 2014 #7
    (iii) Let P = [itex](\sqrt{2}/2, \sqrt{2}/2,0)[/itex] in M. Find the matrix Sp with respect to the basis {σu(P), σv(P)} in TP(M).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted