Midwest Road Trip 2019: Tiki Tour to Omaha & Ohio

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary: Lookout Mountain.After a long day of driving, I finally made it to the top of the hill.It’s a great view, and it’s not too crowded yet, since it’s not yet peak season.In summary, Dave visited Metropolis, Illinois, the Super Museum in Metropolis, Kentucky, Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, the Mastodon State Historic Site in Ste. Genevieve, and the Delmar Loop area of St. Louis. He is going to be on the road again tomorrow to Iowa.
jtbell said:
A moon rock from the Apollo 11 mission:

View attachment 248002
Looks a bit darker than the sample they had on display up near Seattle, that I recently saw. That one was collected by Apollo 12.

Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
Day 16

I spent the afternoon today at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB. This place is mind-boggling. I had to skip about a third of it for lack of time.
From the pictures I would say that this is a much more extensive collection than the one at the Museum of Flight where they were hosting the Apollo traveling exhibit I visited, the actual Air Museum part was fairly sparse. (Though they did have a V-1 to go with your V-2.)

Day 17

From Dayton I zipped down to and around Cincinnati via the Interstates (motorways), then headed east along the north bank of the Ohio River via US-52. This was my first time on this section of the river.

The first town I encountered was New Richmond.

81060125-CBAA-445B-A9BE-69E960866A3E.jpeg

A bit further on in the village of Point Pleasant, I visited the birthplace of Ulysses S. Grant, commander of the Union Army in the Civil War and later President.

CAB2CF0D-AF0A-4931-992D-4B8FB51E73F4.jpeg

A year after he was born, his parents built a new house in the nearby inland town of Georgetown which I also visited.

FFF0906E-BBB4-434F-966A-247C479384B1.jpeg

After growing up here, he enrolled in the US Military Academy (West Point). I learned something about this today that sounds like a bad Army joke:

His parents had given him the name Hiram Ulysses Grant. When he arrived at West Point, a bureaucratic snafu entered him in the Army’s records as Ulysses Simpson Grant. When he tried to get it fixed, he was told in effect, “Sorry, kid, this is the Army. You’re stuck with it.”

Next came another ferry ride, across the river to Augusta KY.

B2A5683C-D839-44C8-9422-32E51102EFA8.jpeg

And then back to Ohio on the next bridge.

Near the southern tip of Ohio, the town of South Point has a little park on the river. The cape on the far bank in the center of the picture marks where the Big Sandy River flows into the Ohio from the south. On the left is West Virginia, on the right is Kentucky.

22731D04-F742-4F5F-B3EE-60E4EE7D6872.jpeg

Tonight I ended up in Louisa KY on the Big Sandy, in the same motel where I’ve stayed on previous trips through this area.

Likes davenn, collinsmark and BillTre
Day 18 (and home)

I didn't stop anywhere for sightseeing on the way home yesterday. I did take a different route than usual between Louisa and Pikeville KY: through West Virginia via US-52 and US-119 instead of directly through Kentucky via US-23.

These sections of US-23 and US-119 are both four-lane divided highways, although not Interstate-highway (motorway) standard. They have grade crossings and occasional traffic signals. They're rather fast anyway, because of extensive cuts through hills, bridges and fills across valleys, etc. US-52 on the other hand is a two-lane road which follows the terrain, mostly in narrow, tightly winding river valleys, passing through small towns, and with a coal-hauling railroad running close nearby.

The coal industry in this area has declined a lot during the past decade, mainly because electric power plants have been converting to natural gas which can now be extracted inexpensively from other areas using "fracking." Also because it's difficult to burn coal cleanly to satisfy environmental regulations. So I didin't see a single train on the railroad that I drove along. Instead, the railroad (Norfolk Southern) is apparently using one of the two tracks to store unused coal hopper cars, miles and miles of them. I would have gotten a picture if I had found a place to pull off the road, which was nearly impossible because of narrow shoulders.

Today I did put together a couple of panoramas from pictures earlier in the trip. Here's a broader view from Clingman's Dome in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (day 1):

Clingman Panorama-small.jpg

And a broader view of the Mississippi River at Wickliffe KY (day 2):

Wickliffe panorama-small.jpg

Likes dlgoff, BillTre, collinsmark and 1 other person
Thanks so much for this thread of another of your road trips
So enjoyable to see the history and other interesting sights

Looking forward to your next trip :smile:Dave

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff and jtbell
I warned jtbell I would post some of my recent photos here. As it happened, he posted those amazing Clingmans Dome photos 1 week prior to my family leaving for a couple days in Asheville, NC on our way to the Outer Banks; we had never been to Asheville and had no idea what to do.

Clearly, we needed to check out the Dome. Indeed, it was amazing.

Here's a photo from my first climb up, carrying my 2 smaller lenses (15mm and 105mm). To get to the viewing platform after walking a 6% grade for 0.5 miles, you walk along a large spiral-shaped structure that carries you above the treetops:

DSC_5219.jpg

Naturally, I then ran down to our car and climbed again, carrying the somewhat larger 400mm lens (and tripod) to get these:

DSC_5288.jpg

DSC_5242.jpg

DSC_5246_filtered.jpg

The last one is a 1:1 crop of Santa's Land amusement park in Maggie Valley, 23 miles away... FWIW, I used the tripod like a monopod- not a lot of room up there.

I totally recommend visiting. The one regret we have is that when driving through the town of Cherokee, located within a reservation, is that we didn't stop to find out what the 'rat cheese' and 'bear meat' available for purchase was, exactly.

Likes BillTre and Spinnor
Ha ha, Santa's Land! I remember driving past the place on US-19 while headed towards the park. Did you drive through Pigeon Forge while coming towards the park from the north? If your kids are the right age, I bet they would have liked stopping there for a day. Lots of tacky tourist stuff. I actually want to visit Dollywood sometime, because they have a live steam train running around a loop through the grounds.
Andy Resnick said:
To get to the viewing platform after walking a 6% grade for 0.5 miles
... at an elevation of about 6500 ft (2000 m). The path is paved and smooth, but it's still a bit of work for most people from the "flatlands". You can see the parking lot way down below at the right:

ClingmanClimb.jpg

At least you can stop and rest and admire the view and the wildflowers along the way.

ClilngmanFlowers.jpg

Last edited:
Likes newbiegirl
<h2>1. What is the purpose of the Midwest Road Trip 2019: Tiki Tour to Omaha & Ohio?</h2><p>The purpose of the Midwest Road Trip 2019: Tiki Tour to Omaha & Ohio is to explore and experience the unique culture, history, and attractions of the Midwest region of the United States.</p><h2>2. What cities will be visited during the Midwest Road Trip 2019?</h2><p>The cities that will be visited during the Midwest Road Trip 2019 include Omaha, Nebraska and various cities in Ohio such as Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati.</p><h2>3. What types of activities will be included in the Tiki Tour?</h2><p>The Tiki Tour will include a variety of activities such as visiting historical landmarks, trying local cuisine, participating in outdoor adventures, and attending cultural events.</p><h2>4. How long will the Midwest Road Trip 2019 last?</h2><p>The Midwest Road Trip 2019 will last approximately 10 days, with each day filled with exciting and educational activities.</p><h2>5. Is the Midwest Road Trip 2019 open to everyone?</h2><p>Yes, the Midwest Road Trip 2019 is open to everyone who is interested in exploring the Midwest region and its unique offerings. However, participants must be able to cover their own travel expenses.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the Midwest Road Trip 2019: Tiki Tour to Omaha & Ohio?

The purpose of the Midwest Road Trip 2019: Tiki Tour to Omaha & Ohio is to explore and experience the unique culture, history, and attractions of the Midwest region of the United States.

2. What cities will be visited during the Midwest Road Trip 2019?

The cities that will be visited during the Midwest Road Trip 2019 include Omaha, Nebraska and various cities in Ohio such as Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati.

3. What types of activities will be included in the Tiki Tour?

The Tiki Tour will include a variety of activities such as visiting historical landmarks, trying local cuisine, participating in outdoor adventures, and attending cultural events.

4. How long will the Midwest Road Trip 2019 last?

The Midwest Road Trip 2019 will last approximately 10 days, with each day filled with exciting and educational activities.

5. Is the Midwest Road Trip 2019 open to everyone?

Yes, the Midwest Road Trip 2019 is open to everyone who is interested in exploring the Midwest region and its unique offerings. However, participants must be able to cover their own travel expenses.