Miraculous Reunion: My Cat Mies Comes Home After 3+ Weeks

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, Janus' cat Mies went missing for three weeks, but he luckily returned home safe and sound. He was very thin, and his collar was still on him. Janus plans to spoil Mies for a month, since he was missed dearly.
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
On in the afternoon Saturday of Thanksgiving we let our cat Mies out. After about 3 hrs, he hadn't returned and I began to get worried, as he is usually never gone for more than an hr or two before he wants to be let back in. I went out and called for him but he was nowhere around. I started to walk the neighborhood with a flashlight (it was dark by now) calling his name to no avail.

By late evening he still hadn't shown up even though we wnet out and called for him from time to time. Neither did he show up by the time we had to go to bed( my daughter waited up quite late).

When he didn't show up in the morning, I new something was definitely amiss.(on those nights when he gets me up to let him out he is always waiting at the window when we get up and wants to be fed.)

We put flyers up around the neighborhood and at the local vet. We contacted the local humane society and animal shelter and filed a missing pet report. I've been stopping by at the shelter three times a week to check on found cats (including the DOA folder, As At least even if he had been found dead, we would then know and have some closure). Nothing.

This morning I got up to go to work and as I entered the kitchen something out the window caught my eye. When took a longer look, I saw it was a cat. My first perception was that it was to small to be Mies, besides, what were the chances? Still, I looked even closer, And it took about 15 secs before I could convince myself that it really was him. I opened the door and he came flying in. He had lost quite A bit of weight but otherwise seemed in good shape. He even still had his collar.

I sure wish he could talk, so I would know where he has been for the last 3+ weeks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's great Janus! It is always a hearbreaker to lose one, but to never know what happened is even worse. To lose a pet during the holidays is even more depressing. I'm really glad to hear Mies is okay.

I hope that you plan to spoil him rotten for about a month. :biggrin:

Glad to hear that he returned safely, and in time for a nice turkey, or ham :smile:

Oh, thank heavens he is back safe and sound!
Did you ever read that story The Incredible Journey?

I once moved to a new apartment in a town about 20 miles from where I had lived before (Morro Bay to San Luis Obispo) and my kitty disappeared after about the first week. Did all the things Janus did to find her, but she was gone! One day, about six months later, I was standing in the kitchen talking on the phone and looking out onto the back patio when *POOF* - there she was standing on the back fence glaring at me like I hadn't fed her for six months or something! She just strolled right in and went over to where her bowls HAD been, sat down and glared at me some more until I fed her. After eating, she came over and lay down on my lap and slept ALL AFTERNOON! I was so HAPPILY TRAPPED! :biggrin:

WELCOME HOME, MIES! YOUR FAMILY MISSED YOU!

Last edited:
Janus, I am glad to hear your kitty came home! My cat is strictly indoors as we live in a busy area with many cars. She tries to get out once in awhile, but hasn't succeeded (yet).

Yes, spoil your cat rotten! Give him/her all the best stuff, and lots of kitty nip.

Janus, I'm glad to hear that your cat's wavefunction collapsed to the eigenstate of your home in time for Christmas. If only Schrodinger's feline could be so lucky.

Get to feeding him!

Janus, I am so glad to hear that your kitty has returned! My cat, the infamous Dr Foofer, disappeared for three weeks a couple of months ago then reappeared as if nothing had happened.

I dissappear for days at a time quite often, but I don't get fed for finding my way home.
I remember once when my cat disappeared for over a week. Then i remembered I had put him in the washing machine.

Not that he wasn't spoiled rotten already, but you can be sure that he is getting a lot of extra attention. In fact, he's been almost insistng on it. According to my daughter, who was home today with him, he wouldn't let her out of his sight. He followed her everywhere she went in the house.

On Christmas he'll get his usual goodies, including his favorite treat: "Kitty Caviar" (Dried fish flakes).

It's so good to have him home again, his disappearance had put a real dampener on the Holiday season.

I had a pet peccary (musk hog) that went missing for three weeks and I really thought she was gone for good. One day I heard that familiar noise and she came back to me…with a huge slice about 1.5 inches deep and 5 inches long on one of her hind legs. Methinks she allowed someone from a nearby village to get within machete distance. She did eventually heal then sometime later disappeared once more for good. I have always loved my pets and I’m happy that your kitty came home, Janus.

BoulderHead said:
I had a pet peccary (musk hog) that went missing for three weeks and I really thought she was gone for good. One day I heard that familiar noise and she came back to me…with a huge slice about 1.5 inches deep and 5 inches long on one of her hind legs. Methinks she allowed someone from a nearby village to get within machete distance.
:bugeye: :eek:
I'll never forget the time my pet komodo dragon took off towards the leper colony and was preparing to eat the entire population when a meteorite exploded overhead and frightened my dragon who ran off towards the secret raft he'd built out of of pumice stone and disappeared.

tribdog said:
:bugeye: :eek:
I'll never forget the time my pet komodo dragon took off towards the leper colony and was preparing to eat the entire population when a meteorite exploded overhead and frightened my dragon who ran off towards the secret raft he'd built out of of pumice stone and disappeared.
I miss that dragon
Mike
You guys don't have any smilies I like so I have to steal them from another website, shame on me.

mjwhip2 said:
I miss that dragon
Mike
You guys don't have any smilies I like so I have to steal them from another website, shame on me.

You don't like our smilies? Heresy! :tongue2: <--- see, that's one's very cute, for example.

BoulderHead said:
with a huge slice about 1.5 inches deep and 5 inches long on one of her hind legs.
hey, can you blame me? I had the eggs, I had the OJ, I had the toast...

Moonbear said:
You don't like our smilies? Heresy! :tongue2: <--- see, that's one's very cute, for example.
But mine is animated
Mike

mjwhip2 said:
But mine is animated
Mike

That one, for some reason, reminds me of a lecherous old man licking his lips! :rofl:

1. How did your cat go missing for 3+ weeks?

There are a variety of reasons why cats may go missing for an extended period of time. In some cases, they may have wandered off in search of food or adventure, while in other cases they may have become lost or trapped. It's also possible that your cat may have been taken in by someone else, mistaken as a stray, or even stolen.

2. How did you find your cat after such a long time?

After my cat, Mies, had been missing for over 3 weeks, I didn't give up hope and continued to search for her every day. I put up flyers in my neighborhood, posted on social media, and contacted local animal shelters and veterinarians. Finally, after weeks of searching, a kind neighbor spotted Mies and contacted me.

3. How did your cat survive for 3+ weeks on her own?

Cats are incredibly resilient creatures and are able to survive on their own for extended periods of time. They are skilled hunters and can find food and shelter on their own. In addition, cats have a strong sense of smell and may be able to follow their scent back home.

4. Did your cat have any injuries or health issues after being missing for so long?

Fortunately, Mies was found in good health with no visible injuries. However, it's always a good idea to take your cat to the vet after a long period of time to ensure they are healthy and to check for any potential health issues that may have arisen during their time away.

5. What steps can I take to prevent my cat from going missing again?

To prevent your cat from going missing again, make sure they are wearing a collar with identification tags and are microchipped. Keep a recent photo of your cat on hand in case they do go missing. In addition, make sure your cat is spayed or neutered, as this can decrease their desire to wander. Finally, keep a close eye on your cat when they are outside and consider keeping them indoors if possible.