Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Might be a basic question

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    Hello!

From the ordinary courses in QM it is known that the momentum kets satisfy the completeness relation

[tex] \int d^3 p \mid p \rangle \langle p \mid = 1[/tex]

Knowing this, how can you calculate

[tex] \int d^3 p \mid p \rangle p \langle p \mid [/tex]

?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

What do you want to calculate? It's an operator you can apply to bras and kets

I prefer

[tex]\int d^3p |p\rangle\langle p| p [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  4. Apr 28, 2010 #3
    What is the p outside the bra/ket exactly? Do you want it to be a momentum operator? or an eigenvalue for the p-ket? If it's the former I think you have an illegal product so there is no such thing as calculating it. If it's a eigenvalue (ie a real number) then it's just the identity operator multiplied by the scalar p.

5. Apr 28, 2010 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

That's why I prefer

[tex]\int d^3p |p\rangle\langle p| \hat{p}^\dagger = \int d^3p |p\rangle\langle p| p [/tex]

6. Apr 28, 2010 #5
    operator times operator

7. Apr 28, 2010 #6
    That p stands for the momentum operator. That's why I'm not sure about how to calculate it. I think the result has something to do with a delta function.

8. Apr 29, 2010 #7

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

your p cannot be an operator as it is in the wrong position, whereas my p (with the hat on top) is an operator; in the second step it is replaced by the eigenvalue as it acts (to the left) on the state vector

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook