Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Might be a basic question

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    Hello!

From the ordinary courses in QM it is known that the momentum kets satisfy the completeness relation

[tex] \int d^3 p \mid p \rangle \langle p \mid = 1[/tex]

Knowing this, how can you calculate

[tex] \int d^3 p \mid p \rangle p \langle p \mid [/tex]

?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

What do you want to calculate? It's an operator you can apply to bras and kets

I prefer

[tex]\int d^3p |p\rangle\langle p| p [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  4. Apr 28, 2010 #3
    What is the p outside the bra/ket exactly? Do you want it to be a momentum operator? or an eigenvalue for the p-ket? If it's the former I think you have an illegal product so there is no such thing as calculating it. If it's a eigenvalue (ie a real number) then it's just the identity operator multiplied by the scalar p.

5. Apr 28, 2010 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

That's why I prefer

[tex]\int d^3p |p\rangle\langle p| \hat{p}^\dagger = \int d^3p |p\rangle\langle p| p [/tex]

6. Apr 28, 2010 #5
    operator times operator

7. Apr 28, 2010 #6
    That p stands for the momentum operator. That's why I'm not sure about how to calculate it. I think the result has something to do with a delta function.

8. Apr 29, 2010 #7

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

your p cannot be an operator as it is in the wrong position, whereas my p (with the hat on top) is an operator; in the second step it is replaced by the eigenvalue as it acts (to the left) on the state vector

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook