1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Might not be able to get into MechE major. I don't want to be just a physicist though

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1
    It's time to register for classes again and I'm afraid I have a slight dilemma. My major, currently, is Physics. I enjoy Physics and I have no wish to transfer out of it, but I have no interest whatsoever in doing pure physics as a career (research and teaching aren't my style, neither are the other common options) so I was planning to get a second major in mechanical Engineering. Everything would've worked just fine except our MechE department (University of Illinois) is absolutely full. They admitted too many new undergrads and so they're thinking about closing transfers for an indefinite amount of time. This is worrying because I'm starting sophomore year soon and since I have not a single GenEd left to take, I need to start the specialized science and math classes soon (I'm currently taking the basics, so it's not not an issue yet but they will run out soon and if I don't decide, I could be here much longer than I need to be).

What should I do? I'm meeting with an adviser from MechE but it is the most difficult department in the university to transfer into and if I don't get in, I don't know what to do. I'll be left high and dry with a degree in an area that I never wanted to pursue a career in. I suppose I could consider another engineering field but that option is a last resort. Thank you everyone!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2009 #2
    Re: Might not be able to get into MechE major. I don't want to be just a physicist th

At one point I tried to do the same, I'm at UIUC too and a junior in physics. Check you messages.

4. Apr 6, 2009 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: Might not be able to get into MechE major. I don't want to be just a physicist th

Are they "thinking about" closing the option down or have they done this? Personally, I would wait to find out what the actual situation is before really stressing over it. Meeting with the advisor is a good idea, as he or she will likely be able to give you some clarification.

5. Apr 6, 2009 #4

Afunk: Checked, thank you :)

Choppy: Even the prospect that they're thinking about it is worrying. Last year they admitted a total of TWO transfers out of about 300 that applied, so the admissions rate isn't good by any means. A very low to no shot means I probably should start worrying right now :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook