Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MIH finally gets with the times

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just got an iPod nano. Whee! I'm watching TV in the palm of my hand.
    This is really cool. :cool:

It will also be really handy since some of my class lectures are available as podcasts now, so I can listen to them during my commute.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:bugeye: Really? I guess it won't be long before I'll be having to learn how to do that too. Just when you get the knack of not putting the transparencies on upside down for the overhead projector, they come up with something new. :uhh:

4. Nov 5, 2007 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've found the podcasts to be incredibly helpful. About half our professors are all for it, and the other half completely shun it. I think some of them are worried that students will stop attending class, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I have seen. Besides, when there are 305 students crammed into a lecture hall that only accomodates 300, a few less showing up makes it more pleasant for all of us.

5. Nov 5, 2007 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

iPod is out and it's all about MP3 cellphones. :smile:

6. Nov 5, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We do something similar, actually, but it's not podcasts, just movies on the course website. I haven't seen any drop in attendance. I think most students realize there are still sometimes things off-camera that they'd miss if they weren't in the classroom, and mostly just treat it the way they would recording lectures themselves, except you get better quality audio through the microphone the lecturer is wearing. It's also great for the student who is sick and has to miss a lecture, and even for those of us who are new faculty and know we need to take over a lecture in the future but don't have time to sit in on the class while it's being offered now to see how it's currently taught.

7. Nov 5, 2007 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're ruining my buzz. :frown:

8. Nov 5, 2007 #7
    Congratulations!!
    I would have never bought one myself, but I ended up with one on my birthday. I was really obsessed with audiobooks for a while. Only thing I don't like is that itunes can kind of suck, and files have to be in ipod format.

Of course, Jason's right. Nano's are a bit outdated.

9. Nov 5, 2007 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Et tu, Gale? :cry:

10. Nov 5, 2007 #9
    I had a cell that played mp3s wonderfully, and yet I still prefer my ipod video... I have no idea why... iPods are just awesome.

11. Nov 5, 2007 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought it would be perfect for that, too. It seems not everyone has figured that out, though. The week before midterms, a sick student came and sat next to me in class and sure enough I caught his cold. He could have easily skipped the lecture and listened to the podcast. To add insult to injury, he sat there and did his Spanish homework all through the lecture.

Moral of the story: next time that happens I will get up and move, even if I have to sit in the aisle.

12. Nov 5, 2007 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like it because it's so thin, like a little cracker. Mine looks like this:

[​IMG]

Getting Windows XP Pro to recognize it was a real chore, though. I finally found a forum of other XP Pro users who had trouble with USB connected gadgets and got suggestions from them.

13. Nov 5, 2007 #12

Mk

Ohhhhhh, that's nice :smile:
    Whaaat? Where do you live? I don't care, I like my nano and I think MIH can say the same :smile:

14. Nov 5, 2007 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Mk! I think I will have a lot of fun with it.

15. Nov 5, 2007 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very cool MIH!

16. Nov 5, 2007 #15
    Cool! I picked up an Ipod Shuffle a couple months ago, it's great for working out.

17. Nov 5, 2007 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ugh. Yeah, that's where it's ideal, because then the student can get the full lecture and doesn't have to rely on a classmate's bad note-taking to find out what they missed.

There is a side of me that is dreading the day I'm lecturing to an empty classroom with nothing but a video camera though. :frown: If that ever happens, though, I'm going to find a way to run a video recorder from my living room and give the lecture in my pajamas, since all the students are probably watching the lecture from their living rooms (or dorm rooms) while lounging around in their pajamas. :biggrin: Hey, if they don't have to show up to the lecture hall, why should I? I'm all for giving up 8 AM lectures and just recording them to be viewed at one's convenience. :tongue2:

18. Nov 5, 2007 #17
    Bravo MIH, I'm sure you get a lot of use from it.

19. Nov 5, 2007 #18

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's awesome MIH. Now, if you ever get bored in class you can just pull out your iPod and listen to a podcast of............oh......wait.

20. Nov 5, 2007 #19
    I love my iPod video too. Espessially because its 80G. :tongue:

21. Nov 5, 2007 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. :smile:
    I was wondering how you work out and keep the earphones in your ears. I am still trying to master that. If I move too much, they pop out.
    Don't forget your bunny slippers!
    Thanks! I hope so. geez - I am such a girly girl - I bought a pink metallic case for it today. :redface:
    ha ha! :rofl: veddy funny, wise guy!
    ha! 80 G? :bugeye: you wish! (me too!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?