MIH goes to the hippy soap shop

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soap
In summary: Eventually I just told her that I had to go and that I would call her later. Then there was the scary but hot little Nicaraguan girl I went out with. I met her on MySpace and she wanted to go out immediately. All night long she pulled one conspiracy theory and bit of junk science after another out of that cute little bottom of hers. On top of that she either had a very tiny bladder or she was doing lines in the bathroom about every fifteen minutes. ...Eventually I just told her that I had to go and that I would call her later.
Math Is Hard said:
This is my most favorite soap ever, by the way:

http://www.pajamamania.com/media/GRCS.jpg

Trois Petits Cochons. Very hard to find. They smell like "fresh linen" rather than "cochons".

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/presentfinder/1306/mig/d/trois+petits+cochons+three+little+pigs+scented+soaps+gianna+rose+atelier/pid/3999339

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
edward said:
So where does everyone stand on scented candles. Some of them smell like chemical factories to me. My wife thinks they are wonderful . phewwwww...no gardenias smell wonderful. Is it just me:confused:
I went to check out the antique auto museum at a Yankee Candle in Mass.
Definitely worthwhile if you like cars (and it's still there as this was some time ago).

Payback was to be a shopping session in the candle section.
This was probably the most intense olfactory experience in my life.
I had to leave, closely followed by the organizer of the excursion :biggrin:
In small doses candles are ok.

We have a real pot bellied pig, and you definitely don't want to go and try and wash your self with her...

I never stand on scented candles. Especially when they're lit.

edward said:
So where does everyone stand on scented candles. Some of them smell like chemical factories to me. My wife thinks they are wonderful . phewwwww...no gardenias smell wonderful. Is it just me:confused:

Kurdt said:

:rofl:

It depends on the candle. A lot of them just make me sneeze or give me a headache, but then there are some that I just love. I have some lavender scented ones I love, and some fruit scents are just soothing to me, like peach. I don't like the ones that are named things like "Mountain Rain" or "Meadow Brook." I don't know what scent they're attempting to recreate, but it just seems like cheap perfume to me.

Kurdt said:

Jumping Jack Flash :smile:
Jack be nimble.

Moonbear said:

It depends on the candle. A lot of them just make me sneeze or give me a headache, but then there are some that I just love. I have some lavender scented ones I love, and some fruit scents are just soothing to me, like peach. I don't like the ones that are named things like "Mountain Rain" or "Meadow Brook." I don't know what scent they're attempting to recreate, but it just seems like cheap perfume to me.
Oooh, I like Yankee Candle's "grass", it smells like new mown grass.

I would have to take some Benadryl.

Here is the entire line of the soaps MIH.

http://www.giannarose.com/grastore.cfm?view=product&Category=animal&do=list

Evo said:

Ivan Seeking said:
I would have to take some Benadryl.

I need an aspirin just to walk past a Yankee Candle shop. I like a few of their candles, but most are icky, and the place stinks so badly I can't even tell what some of the candles smell like because my sense of smell is shot about 10 seconds after entering their stores.

Never trust a hippy candle labeled "grass".

Kurdt said:
Never trust a hippy candle labeled "grass".

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Here in Oregon there is a festival called "The Country Fair" that began as a hippie and crafts festival, and that to this day the police pretty much ignore. The fair is famous for its pot and hash tents, and green brownies. For the most part, in fact afaik it is always peaceful without any significant problems, but I am told that in that past it could get pretty bad as far as the drugs go. If you saw a hippie with a spritzer, you didn't want to let him or her spray you as it may contain LSD!

Tsu has gone but I never have: She just hasn't seemed right ever since.

Last edited:
Ha The Country Fair is stoner heaven..I was going to go with my dad like two years ago whenwe were up in Corvallis, but we never got tickets.

BTW Ivan, my dad and I are actually making it up there this summer, so you may see us at da Vinci Days. We normally float the river portion of the Kinetic Sculpture Race, so you may see me in my outlandish looking Pyranha kayak.

Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Here in Oregon there is a festival called "The Country Fair" that began as a hippie and crafts festival, and that to this day the police pretty much ignore. The fair is famous for its pot and hash tents, and green brownies. For the most part, in fact afaik it is always peaceful without any significant problems, but I am told that in that past it could get pretty bad as far as the drugs go. If you saw a hippie with a spritzer, you didn't want to let him or her spray you as it may contain LSD!

Tsu has gone but I never have: She just hasn't seemed right ever since.

hmmm... I've only missed going one year in the last 20.
That was the first place I ever bought hippie soap.
It's now my largest investment at the fair every year.
The vendors have never mentioned the voodoo shakra belly rubbing thing to me.

ah ha! there they are: http://simmonsnaturals.stores.yahoo.net/soap.html

The only one I didn't much care for was one that had caraway seeds embedded into it.
It's like, OUCH! Who put these stupid seeds in here? It was quite annoying having to dig them out with my fingernails and flick them down the drain until the bar was gone.

Oh, and Ivan, the country fair is now a drug and alcohol free zone. The spritzers are now filled with water and are used to extinguish rogue pipes.

But don't fret. There are still lots of half-naked hippies
http://www.oregoncountryfair.org/gallery_unknown/photos/content/bin/images/large/unknown_2.jpg

And people ask me why I would go to a fair where they don't have carnival rides and you don't get to see row after row of blue ribbon chickens and cows. Ah. Hahahahahaha! 35 days and counting.

:blushing:

OM, your in Oregon as well?

binzing said:
OM, your in Oregon as well?

Native Orygoonian since 1959 =8)

OmCheeto said:
The only one I didn't much care for was one that had caraway seeds embedded into it.
It's like, OUCH! Who put these stupid seeds in here? It was quite annoying having to dig them out with my fingernails and flick them down the drain until the bar was gone.

That's for exfoliation. :biggrin:

I like the scents of a lot of those "hippie" soaps, but like you, have never had anyone claim they did anything to chakras. At most, they promote things like relaxation. I just like the way they smell. I had some nice ones that have had scents like peppermint or eucalyptus (great for waking up in the morning) or lavender (soothing for a bath before bedtime). Much more appealing to me than the perfumes in soaps sold at regular stores. One of the nicest ones I got was from a sheep farm that made sheep's milk soap. They had nice scents, it rinsed well, made my skin feel good, and the bars lasted longer than a lot of those homemade ones usually do. Unfortunately, last time I checked for them online, they had disappeared. :frown:

Evo said:

Sorry but newly mown grass reminds me of the cemetery...:uhh:

Cool. I know there's one or two other New Mexicans on here, but I've forgotten who they are...
Calling all New Mexicans! Show yourselves dammit!

Moonbear said:
That's for exfoliation. :biggrin:
I thought agent orange did that. :rolleyes:
I like the scents of a lot of those "hippie" soaps, but like you, have never had anyone claim they did anything to chakras. At most, they promote things like relaxation. I just like the way they smell. I had some nice ones that have had scents like peppermint or eucalyptus (great for waking up in the morning) or lavender (soothing for a bath before bedtime). Much more appealing to me than the perfumes in soaps sold at regular stores. One of the nicest ones I got was from a sheep farm that made sheep's milk soap. They had nice scents, it rinsed well, made my skin feel good, and the bars lasted longer than a lot of those homemade ones usually do. Unfortunately, last time I checked for them online, they had disappeared. :frown:

I'll check at the fair for sheep's milk soap. They usually have at least 4 different soap vendors.

On another note, I was researching Ivan's algae-oil the other day and noticed that one of the byproducts was glycerin. Now I've purchased glycerin soap when I ran out of hippie soap on occasion. Do you think the diesel glycerin byproduct could be used for making soap? Or do you think I'd end up smelling like I've just changed the oil in my car, after taking my bath?

OmCheeto said:
I thought agent orange did that. :rolleyes:

I'll check at the fair for sheep's milk soap. They usually have at least 4 different soap vendors.

It was really nice. The funny thing is when I bought it, I had intended to give it as holiday gifts to folks in the lab because it was sheep's milk, not because I necessarily expected it to be great soap, but because we work with sheep and I thought it would be cute to do. But, it shipped a bit later than I expected, so I figured I'd hold onto it for the next year or another gift-giving occasion, but once I tried a bar for myself, I ended up keeping it all for myself. :rolleyes:

Since when did hippies start bathing, anyway?

Tsu said:
http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/presentfinder/1306/mig/d/trois+petits+cochons+three+little+pigs+scented+soaps+gianna+rose+atelier/pid/3999339

Evo said:
Here is the entire line of the soaps MIH.

http://www.giannarose.com/grastore.cfm?view=product&Category=animal&do=list

Thanks. I used to get my piggies at Neiman's but they don't have them anymore.

Phrak said:
I simply MUST have some! I'll dress them in tiny little paisleys and plaid. Where ever did you find them? I'll trade you for 10 gallons of floor wax.
The "buy in bulk" concept isn't lost on you, I can tell! If that floor wax can double as a dessert topping, you have a deal. :approve:

binzing said:
We have a real pot bellied pig, and you definitely don't want to go and try and wash your self with her...

You have a pig? Do you have pictures? I want to see!

Math Is Hard said:
Since when did hippies start bathing, anyway?

They don't. That's why they sell all the soap they make and think it makes you feel funny and growing chakras or something. :biggrin:

There's a pic of my pig in one of the photo contest threads. I'll try to find it...
Unfortunately, by a cruel twist of fate (i.e. technological errors) I lost the photos of her as a piglet...When she was like 10 inches long and 10 pounds.

Last edited:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1631643&highlight=pig+Petunia+Ernie#post1631643
Here it is.

binzing said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1631643&highlight=pig+Petunia+Ernie#post1631643
Here it is.

That is SOME PIG!:approve:

Is she as smart as a dog? I hear some are smarter.

She's hella smart, for sure. She's even bigger now. We need to figure out a way to trim her hooves as they are impeding her walking.

binzing said:
She's hella smart, for sure. She's even bigger now. We need to figure out a way to trim her hooves as they are impeding her walking.

Get a good pair of hoof shears and have a vet or local farmer show you how to do it. Let her run around in the mud a bit so her hooves are soft the day you're going to trim them; it makes the cutting easier. Otherwise, once you're shown how to do it, it's not that hard.

OmCheeto said:
On another note, I was researching Ivan's algae-oil

Thanks, but I didn't actually create the stuff. :biggrin:

the other day and noticed that one of the byproducts was glycerin. Now I've purchased glycerin soap when I ran out of hippie soap on occasion. Do you think the diesel glycerin byproduct could be used for making soap? Or do you think I'd end up smelling like I've just changed the oil in my car, after taking my bath?

Glycerin has in fact been one of the byproducts that can be sold after making biodiesel. Unfortunately, the last time that I checked - about six months ago - being that the biodiesel industry had reached the status of being a mainstream commercial enterprise, the bottom had dropped out of the glycerin market, so I don't think it yields significant revenues; at least not nearly as good as it once did. In short: We need much more biodiesel than we do glycerin. So I guess the opportunity is in products made from glycerin, such as fancy soaps, rather than the wholesale end of things.

Last edited:
We've got shears, and know how to cut hooves, its just the part of not scaring her, and I've heard it can turn a good pig mean. My plan is to get one or two people to rub her side and belly, which always leads to her laying down and rolling onto her back a little, and having another do the trimming.

We had pigmy goats, and they had lines in the hooves that you could follow... I guess pretty much like growth lines in trees. So as long as we were careful to only trim down one or two sets of lines, we were okay. But in order to trim them, I had to tackle the up to 90 pound suckers, put them in a double half-nelson with a twist and a Hamel-Camel, wrestle, and after a time...eventually, I could finally get the advantage. Then, while I endured the screaming in my ear, and the second generation cud burps in my face, Tsu could trim the hooves.

Nothing to it.

It was not easy to trim goat hooves while laughing hysterically at the goats not just screaming and burping at Ivan, but SCREAMING! and BURPING! at him. :rofl:

A friend of mine raises goats and makes and sells goats milk soaps and lotions. They're very nice.