Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mii & Wii

1. Apr 29, 2006 #1

KCL

http://revolution.nintendo.com

Nintendo recently announced the official name of their next console, previously knows as Revolution...

and it's going to be called... Wii.

So, what do you think? I'm curious.... :rofl:

If you're not familiar with revolution, er, Wii, it's nintendo's next console and it features a rather revolutionary controller - it senses its location in 3d space and other things such is rotation and whatnot. Here's a promo from last year's unveiling:

[MEDIA=youtube]bAtTIDnfiSs[/MEDIA]&search=revolution controller

This was only a teaser, we'll only see real Wii games in 10 days At the Electronic Entertainment Expo, the big show for videogames. Supposedly there's another 'revolutionary' aspect to the console that people are speculating nintendo will reveal in their conference at the expo.

The whole idea behind Wii, the name and the console, is to reach new audiences. Nintendo's philosophy is to create easy accessible games for people who don't usually play games. They want just about every human being capable of holding that controller to play their machine... that's why they went with Wii... which I (and about 99% of gamers currently :rofl: ) don't like.

Anyway considering there isn't a topic on this here, and just in the last two days this set the internet on fire to say the least, I'm curious what everybody here thinks especially since you guys are part of nintendo's target. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2006 #2

Mk

Well, they're Japanese.

4. Apr 29, 2006 #3
    I think nintendo are going to crash and burn. Nobody likes the name, the console sucks compared to the other next-generation consoles and you can't play conventional games with that kind of controller.

I'm not entirely sure that this 'massive' market they're trying to tap into actually exists, why couldn't they just concentrate on a console that eats into the other two instead of going down this dead-end?

5. Apr 29, 2006 #4
    "We are the knights who say...wii!"

6. Aug 4, 2006 #5
    Is it just Mii?

Is it just Mii, or is anybody else pumped for the Nintendo Wii? I just can't wait to use the WiiMote control to smash a homerun off of Fransico Liriano:smile: .

There was a mysterious press release that Nintendo gave out that hinted toward the launch of the Wii. I personally think that we will find out for sure when the Wii comes out at Game Convention 2006.

Also, for less than $250, the Wii will be somewhat affordable compared to the new PS3 starting around $600.

What are your thoughts, fellow PF'ers? Are you excited for a first-hand lightsaber duel vs. Darth Maul?

Paden Roder

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  7. Aug 4, 2006 #6
    I haven't really played with consoles ina long time, so I'm not that excited anymore. =/
    I can't wait for FF3 for my DS though.

8. Aug 4, 2006 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

I'll probably buy it, Wii has to be the worst name ever...

but I'm more excited about the new Zelda which gets released that day(I believe)

9. Aug 4, 2006 #8
    I love Zelda!

10. Aug 4, 2006 #9
    Which Zelda? Twilight Princess or Phantom Hourglass? One is for the Wii and one is for the DS/GCB. The one for the Wii looks awesome, although I'll probably buy both.

Paden Roder

11. Aug 4, 2006 #10

JamesU

Gold Member

Twilight princess comes out for Wii and Gamecube...I don't know much about phantom hourglass

12. Aug 4, 2006 #11
    Yeah, that's right. I think PH is for the DS.

Paden Roder

13. Aug 4, 2006 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Zelda + Metroid = Win

14. Aug 4, 2006 #13
    Good point. Another Metroid game for the Wii looks pretty splendid. Plus, Mario Galaxy wouldn't be a bad addition to any gamer's collection

Paden Roder

15. Oct 5, 2006 #14
    Do you still think this? I really think that Nintendo is actually going to outsell Sony this time around.

And you can plug in up to four gamecube controllers into it too. So you CAN play traditional games too.

16. Oct 5, 2006 #15
    Mario galaxy is what I am pumped about. I CAN"T WAIT!

17. Oct 5, 2006 #16
    Not a big fan of Nintendo but i must give them creidt for there controler system. That in itself is pretty cool. I was not very impressed with xbox 360 because once again Microsoft lied and there was no intregrated wireless connection...I am farely confident that PS3 will have the best graphics and it will be no competition. It all comes down to what you wan to play.

18. Oct 5, 2006 #17
    I dont think its possible for Nintendo to outsell Sony. Judging by the graphics from PS3, there just simply amazing. The only thing in my opinion Nintendo has going for them are the Mario liscene and the Metroid games. Without those i dont think they'd exist...

19. Oct 5, 2006 #18
    I don't think that the Wii would outsell the PS3 if those were the only two consoles on the market, but I think since the 360 has done so well I don't think that sony will do nearly as well as they have done the previous two generations.

20. Oct 5, 2006 #19

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have merged 2 threads concerning this game system.

21. Oct 5, 2006 #20
    I was wondering what happened because my threads were back to back and it was confusing. Thanks for the clarification

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?