Getting Math Symbols on MikTeX and TeXnicCenter

• Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary,My installation of MikTeX (and the TeXnicCenter) has bothered me for a while, because it doesn't have some of my favorite fonts, such as mathbb. (\mathbb{R}) However, I just found out it doesn't even have the integral sign!I checked the package manager, and nothing that I didn't have installed looked like it would contain things like this...Someone else has to have already run into this problem and figured out what to do... so how do I get 'em? =)I had copied a header where I had defined \int for something. :blushing: That still doesn't explain why I couldn't find the
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My installation of MikTeX (and the TeXnicCenter) has bothered me for a while, because it doesn't have some of my favorite fonts, such as mathbb. ([itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]) However, I just found out it doesn't even have the integral sign!

I checked the package manager, and nothing that I didn't have installed looked like it would contain things like this...

Someone else has to have already run into this problem and figured out what to do... so how do I get 'em? =)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hurkyl said:
My installation of MikTeX (and the TeXnicCenter) has bothered me for a while, because it doesn't have some of my favorite fonts, such as mathbb. ([itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]) However, I just found out it doesn't even have the integral sign!

I checked the package manager, and nothing that I didn't have installed looked like it would contain things like this...

Someone else has to have already run into this problem and figured out what to do... so how do I get 'em? =)

Code:
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\topskip 0in
\textheight 8.0in
\textwidth 6.5in
\oddsidemargin 0in
\evensidemargin 0in
\headheight 0in
\boldmath
\flushbottom
\begin{document}
\noindent

$$
\int{sin(x)}dx
$$

\end{document}

Copy and paste it, save a source file and try to compile it as a DVI. Does that give you a integral symbol?

Last edited:
Actually, I figured out my integral woes...

I had copied a header where I had defined \int for something. :blushing: That still doesn't explain why I couldn't find the integral sign in the documentation, though! Bad TeXnicCenter!

I'd still like to get \mathbb if you know how...

I believe honestrosewater is right (I've been using MikTeX as well).

Here's a good pdf file for math latex, in case you may be using the wrong function names:
http://www.maths.nottingham.ac.uk/local/Guides/short-math-guide.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Code:
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amsthm}
\usepackage{pictex}

use these and you should be fine...I cannot say for sure what package it is in but those work fine for me.

Good luck

\usepackage{amssymb} is enough for the blackboard bold math font, though if you use math extensively you should consider always using at least something like

Code:
\documentclass[12pt, article]{memoir}

\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{amsfonts}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{mathtools}

\newcommand{\R}{\mathbb{R}}

\begin{document}

$\R$

\[
\R
\]

\end{document}

Yay, it does seem to have "amssymb". (Sigh, I had only guessed at amssym and amssymbol)

1. How do I install math symbols in MikTeX and TeXnicCenter?

To install math symbols in MikTeX and TeXnicCenter, you first need to download the necessary package from a trusted source. Then, open MikTeX and go to the "Package Manager" to install the package. In TeXnicCenter, go to "Build" and click on "Define Output Profiles". Under "Postprocessor", select "dvips" and click on "Viewer". Under "Command", add "-Ppk -q" without the quotes. This will ensure that the necessary fonts are included when compiling your document with math symbols.

2. How can I use math symbols in my document?

To use math symbols in your document, you need to load the appropriate package in your preamble using the "\usepackage" command. For example, to use the math symbol for "alpha", you would use "\usepackage{amssymb}" in your preamble. Then, in your document, you can use "\alpha" to insert the symbol.

3. What should I do if I am getting errors when trying to use math symbols?

If you are getting errors when trying to use math symbols, make sure that you have loaded the correct package in your preamble. Also, check that the package has been properly installed in MikTeX. If the issue persists, try updating your MikTeX and TeXnicCenter to the latest versions. If all else fails, refer to the package documentation or seek help from online forums or communities.

4. Can I use custom math symbols in MikTeX and TeXnicCenter?

Yes, you can use custom math symbols in MikTeX and TeXnicCenter. First, create the symbol in a vector graphics editor such as Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator. Then, save the symbol as a PDF or EPS file. Finally, follow the steps for installing math symbols and instead of using a pre-made package, select the option to install from a local file and select your custom symbol file.

5. Is there a way to search for specific math symbols in MikTeX and TeXnicCenter?

Yes, there is a way to search for specific math symbols in MikTeX and TeXnicCenter. In MikTeX, you can go to "Package Manager" and use the search function to look for packages that contain the symbol you need. In TeXnicCenter, you can use the "Symbols" window to search for specific symbols and insert them into your document.