Finding a Good LaTeX Template for Dissertation Writing

In summary, the speaker is looking for a good template for writing a dissertation in Latex using MikTex. They specify that the style should be similar to a short report on a topic, with no abstract and few references. They mention needing an introduction and Feynman diagram figures. Another person suggests the IEEE format, which may be more formal than what the speaker is looking for, and recommends checking other physics publications for templates.
LAHLH
Hi,

I'm writing a dissertation and would like to do it in Latex, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good template that will work in MikTex for this purpose? It's to be in the style of short report on a topic not a paper (i.e. no abstract, few references), just like an essay I guess, intro and feynman diagram figures...

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is LaTeX and why is it used for dissertation writing?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and academia. It is often preferred for dissertation writing due to its ability to handle complex equations and references, as well as its professional and consistent formatting.

2. Are there different LaTeX templates available for dissertation writing?

Yes, there are multiple LaTeX templates available for dissertation writing. Some are specific to certain universities or departments, while others are more general and can be adapted to fit different requirements. It is important to carefully review and select a template that meets the guidelines set by your institution.

3. How do I find a good LaTeX template for my dissertation?

One option is to check with your university or department for any recommended or required templates. You can also search online for LaTeX templates specifically designed for dissertations. It may also be helpful to ask for recommendations from other students or professors who have previously used LaTeX for their dissertations.

4. Can I customize a LaTeX template for my specific needs?

Yes, most LaTeX templates can be customized to some extent. You can make changes to the formatting, add or remove sections, and customize the style to match your preferences. However, it is important to be cautious when making changes, as they may affect the overall structure and formatting of your dissertation.

5. Are there any tips for using a LaTeX template for dissertation writing?

Yes, here are some tips for using a LaTeX template for dissertation writing:
- Familiarize yourself with the basics of LaTeX before using a template.
- Make sure to carefully read and follow the instructions and guidelines provided with the template.
- Regularly save your work and create backups, as LaTeX can be prone to errors.
- Test the template with a few sample pages before starting to write your entire dissertation.
- Don't be afraid to seek help from other LaTeX users or online forums if you encounter any issues.