Milestone passed

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date

Janus

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
After having it in my sights for a while (even more so since the recent economic downturn), I passed a critical milepost today. As of a little more than an hour ago, when my work day finished, I am eligible to retire with full benefits.

Not that I plan to retire yet, but is a relief to have a pension to fall back on if needed.

Evo

Mentor
Congratulations Janus!!! Retiring from a company (and getting benefits) is becoming rare.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Yay you!

(What's a pension?)

I never passed a milestone, but I've passed a few kidney stones. It must be mad painful.

Being Janus, you have something to look forward to, and simultaneously something to look back upon.

A millstone has been lifted off of you.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
After having it in my sights for a while (even more so since the recent economic downturn), I passed a critical milepost today. As of a little more than an hour ago, when my work day finished, I am eligible to retire with full benefits.

Not that I plan to retire yet, but is a relief to have a pension to fall back on if needed.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is a huge milestone!

It is also one of the toughest things to pass up for self-employment.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Retiring from a company (and getting benefits) is becoming rare.
They sure are. Most companies find an opportunity to lay people off before it becomes an issue. In my world, at least, government jobs are about the only ones offering traditional benefits any more. There are a few exceptions out there, but for every one of those, I can probably name at least ten counterexamples.

Last edited:

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Congratulations on achieving that milestone :approve: , which is increasingly rare, and I guess condolensces, because your old enough to retire. :biggrin:

Janus

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Congratulations on achieving that milestone :approve: , which is increasingly rare, and I guess condolensces, because your old enough to retire. :biggrin:
I'm not that old. After all, I just celebrated my 11th 39th birthday in August.

turbo

Gold Member
Congratulations, Janus. Getting old ain't for sissies, so stay healthy so you can enjoy your retirement.

Janus

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Congratulations Janus!!! Retiring from a company (and getting benefits) is becoming rare.
At my employer, there are now three tiers of retirement plans, depending on when you were hired. As you go from tier 1 to tier 3, the benefits reduce. Even with tier one, where I am, since 2004 my contributions no longer go into the original retirement account, but a separate account which can go up or down with the market. When I do retire, I'll get the money in that account as a lump sum.