Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Milestone passed

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After having it in my sights for a while (even more so since the recent economic downturn), I passed a critical milepost today. As of a little more than an hour ago, when my work day finished, I am eligible to retire with full benefits.

Not that I plan to retire yet, but is a relief to have a pension to fall back on if needed.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Congratulations Janus!!! Retiring from a company (and getting benefits) is becoming rare.

4. Mar 31, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yay you!

(What's a pension?)

5. Mar 31, 2009 #4
    I never passed a milestone, but I've passed a few kidney stones. It must be mad painful.

6. Mar 31, 2009 #5
    Being Janus, you have something to look forward to, and simultaneously something to look back upon.

A millstone has been lifted off of you.

7. Apr 1, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is a huge milestone!

It is also one of the toughest things to pass up for self-employment.

8. Apr 1, 2009 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They sure are. Most companies find an opportunity to lay people off before it becomes an issue. In my world, at least, government jobs are about the only ones offering traditional benefits any more. There are a few exceptions out there, but for every one of those, I can probably name at least ten counterexamples.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  9. Apr 1, 2009 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Congratulations on achieving that milestone :approve: , which is increasingly rare, and I guess condolensces, because your old enough to retire. :biggrin:

10. Apr 1, 2009 #9

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not that old. After all, I just celebrated my 11th 39th birthday in August.

11. Apr 1, 2009 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Congratulations, Janus. Getting old ain't for sissies, so stay healthy so you can enjoy your retirement.

12. Apr 1, 2009 #11

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At my employer, there are now three tiers of retirement plans, depending on when you were hired. As you go from tier 1 to tier 3, the benefits reduce. Even with tier one, where I am, since 2004 my contributions no longer go into the original retirement account, but a separate account which can go up or down with the market. When I do retire, I'll get the money in that account as a lump sum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook