1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Milk almost boiling sensor

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    I don't know about you people, but I often loose my milk, because it boils and spills out, just when I am not looking at it. :)
    Is it possible to alarm when it is just about to boil, by sensing its temperature?
    My concern is, is temperature a reliable indicator (impurities, varying degree of FAT in the milk, variation in atmospheric temperature etc)
    I don't want very precise alarming, but hey, it needs to prove its worth!
    (yeah, I do electronics )
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    What I do when I want to boil water without it boiling over is to set the stove burner low. That way I can walk away and if it does start boiling it won't be boiling very vigorously. It will take longer to boil but at least I don't have to stand there keeping an eye on it.

4. Nov 17, 2011 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm no chemist, but generally, adding small amounts of sugars, salts and fats to water should raise the boiling point slightly. In an http://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1451" on line, they suggest using a double boiler to prevent the milk from boiling.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook