Height of Milk in a Carton with Two Pierced Holes

In summary, the height of milk in a carton as a function of the height of the respective holes is found to be h=y_{{i}}+y_{{s}}.
TeTeC
Hello everyone.

'A carton of milk is placed on a table. It has 2 holes pierced through a vertical side. At one point in time, the 2 jets of milk flowing out are reaching the table a the same point. Determine the height of milk in the carton as a function of the respective heights [tex]y_{{s}}[/tex] and [tex]y_{{i}}[/tex] of the superior and inferior holes.'

Here is my work:

The equations of motion first, used in this situation:
[tex]x=v_{{x_{{s}}}}t_{{s}}[/tex] (1)
[tex]x=v_{{x_{{i}}}}t_{{i}}[/tex] (2)
[tex]0=1/2\,g{t_{{s}}}^{2}+y_{{s}}[/tex] (3)
[tex]0=1/2\,g{t_{{i}}}^{2}+y_{{i}}[/tex] (4)

Where [tex]h[/tex] is the height of milk in the carton, assuming that Torricelli's Theorem can be used here, I have in equations (1) and (2):

[tex]x=\sqrt {2g \left( h-y_{{s}} \right) }t_{{s}}[/tex] (5)
[tex]x=\sqrt {2g \left( h-y_{{i}} \right) }t_{{i}}[/tex] (6)

Then, when replacing (5) and (6) in equations (3) and (4):

[tex]0=1/4\,{\frac {{x}^{2}}{h-y_{{s}}}}+y_{{s}}[/tex] (7)
[tex]0=1/4\,{\frac {{x}^{2}}{h-y_{{i}}}}+y_{{i}}[/tex] (8)

Using equation (8), I find:

[tex]{x}^{2}=-4\,y_{{i}} \left( h-y_{{i}} \right)[/tex]

Then I replace in equation (7) and follows a few lines of development:

[tex]-{\frac {y_{{i}} \left( h-y_{{i}} \right) }{h-y_{{s}}}}+y_{{s}}[/tex]
[tex]-y_{{s}}h+{y_{{s}}}^{2}=-y_{{i}}h+{y_{{i}}}^{2}[/tex]
[tex]-y_{{s}}h+y_{{i}}h={y_{{i}}}^{2}-{y_{{s}}}^{2}[/tex]
[tex]h={\frac {{y_{{i}}}^{2}-{y_{{s}}}^{2}}{y_{{i}}-y_{{s}}}}[/tex]
[tex]h=y_{{i}}+y_{{s}}[/tex]

Actually, I don't have obvious problems with this exercice, I just find the result quite amazing, for this is really a simple answer... Maybe I'm just unable to deal with such easy answers. :uhh:

The question is : Is this seems to be right?

Thanks a lot!

P.S: the wording is translated from French... Excuse me for any misunderstanding or English mistake.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TeTeC said:
The question is : Is this seems to be right?

Assuming you are satisfied that the algebra is correct, think about what must happen to h relative to the height of the upper (superior) hole as the height of the lower (inferior) hole goes to zero. What about other changes in the heights of the two holes, such as when they get very close together? Do the corresponding changes in h seem reasonable based on how you expect x to vary for each hole as h varies? Does your result suggest that h ever changes in a way that seems unrealistic? If the algebra looks correct, and the result does not imply anything unreasonable, believe it.

TeTeC said:
[tex]h=y_{{i}}+y_{{s}}[/tex]
i agree! this result is very interesting. (i checked your work, and it seems correct.)

Thanks for the answers. :wink:

OlderDan, I've been trying to answer your questions to myself, and I've found nothing paradoxal... So I believe it. :shy:

As the algebra seems correct, the best thing I could do is trying to experimentally check the result... A bottle of water should give me something similar.

1. What is the role of fluid dynamics in milk production?

Fluid dynamics plays a crucial role in milk production by governing the movement of milk through the various stages of the production process. This includes the pumping, heating, cooling, and packaging of milk, as well as the flow of milk within the cow's udder and milking equipment.

2. How does the composition of milk affect its fluid dynamics?

The composition of milk, including its fat content, protein content, and viscosity, greatly impacts its fluid dynamics. These factors determine how easily milk flows through pipes and equipment, as well as how it behaves when subjected to heat and agitation.

3. Can fluid dynamics impact the quality of milk?

Yes, fluid dynamics can have a significant impact on the quality of milk. Improper flow rates, temperatures, and agitation can cause changes in the milk's composition and lead to the growth of harmful bacteria. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully control the fluid dynamics during milk production to maintain high-quality milk.

4. How does the shape of milk containers affect its fluid dynamics?

The shape of milk containers, such as bottles or cartons, can greatly affect the fluid dynamics of milk. A container with a narrow opening will create more pressure on the milk, leading to a faster flow rate. On the other hand, a wider opening will result in a slower flow rate. Additionally, the shape of the container can impact the mixing and homogenization of the milk.

5. What are some current research topics in milk and fluid dynamics?

Some current research topics in milk and fluid dynamics include studying the effects of different milk handling and processing techniques on the flow and quality of milk, developing new methods for efficiently cleaning milking equipment, and analyzing the effects of different packaging materials on the flow and shelf life of milk.