Is Drinking Milk with Fish a Myth or Science?

• Thread starter Panthera Leo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the idea that drinking milk after or before eating fish is not recommended is a myth. Many people around the world eat fish and milk together with no negative consequences. In fact, there are recipes that call for fish to be poached in milk, and chowder, a popular dish made with fish and other seafood, is typically made with a base of cream and milk. This rule is not commonly followed in New England, where fish chowder is a popular and well-loved dish. The only potential risk of eating fish chowder is over-indulging.
Panthera Leo
I have heard that drinking milk after or before eating fish is not recommended from many people,

I wanted to know if this is a myth or has a scientific reason?

Many thanks in advance :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
It's a myth. Many people all over the world eat fish and milk with no consequences. I was raised in a fishing town, myself.

There are literally dozens of recipes that call for (mostly smoked) fish poached in milk. Is not chowder an American dish of fish and other seafood in a milky, creamy soup? I'm not sure where from comes the idea that there is anything about the combination to raise the slightest concern. Except perhaps a purely culinary one. The best chefs will tell you that fresh fish should be poached in white wine. It is apparently a common mistake of inexperienced chefs to poach fresh fish in milk. Smoked fish in milk, fresh fish in white wine is considered the form.

Probably no need to chime in, but whoever came up with that "rule" was not from New England. Fish chowder is typically made from cod, pollock, and other white fish, with onions and potatoes in a base of cream and milk. If you've got access to them, it is also common to add lobster meat, clam bodies, etc.

Chowder is a favorite "warm up" meal in cold weather, and a great draw for tourists in all weather. I don't know if they are still in operation, but McLeod's in Bucksport, and the Snow Squall in South Portland were always high on my list for traditional fish chowders when I was doing tech service work for paper mills. Unless one is lactose-intolerant or allergic to shellfish, the only "risk" of eating good fish chowder is a chance of over-eating.

I can say that there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea that drinking milk with fish is harmful. This is likely a myth that has been perpetuated through cultural beliefs and traditions. In fact, milk is a rich source of protein and calcium, which can complement the nutritional benefits of fish. However, some people may have personal preferences or dietary restrictions that prevent them from consuming milk and fish together. As with any food combination, it is important to listen to your body and make choices that work best for you. Ultimately, the decision to drink milk with fish is a personal one and there is no scientific reason to avoid it.

1. Is it true that drinking milk with fish is unhealthy?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that drinking milk with fish is unhealthy. In fact, many cultures have been consuming milk and fish together for centuries without any negative health effects. It is a common myth that has been debunked by scientific studies.

2. Why do some people believe that drinking milk with fish is bad?

Some people believe that drinking milk with fish can cause digestive problems because fish contains a protein called casein, which is also found in milk. However, the amount of casein in fish is significantly lower than in milk, making it unlikely to cause any issues. Additionally, milk and fish are both nutritious foods that can be beneficial when consumed together.

3. Are there any health benefits to drinking milk with fish?

Yes, there are potential health benefits to consuming milk and fish together. Fish is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids and protein, while milk is a good source of calcium and vitamin D. Combining these two foods can provide a balanced and nutritious meal, especially for those who do not consume dairy or fish regularly.

4. Can drinking milk with fish cause allergies?

There is no evidence to suggest that drinking milk with fish can cause allergies. Food allergies are caused by an immune system reaction to specific proteins, and there is no evidence that the combination of milk and fish can trigger an allergic response. However, individuals with known allergies to either milk or fish should consult with a doctor before consuming them together.

5. Is it better to drink milk before or after eating fish?

There is no scientific evidence to support the notion that the timing of consuming milk and fish together can affect health. It is a personal preference and does not impact the nutritional value of the foods. Some people may prefer to drink milk before eating fish to avoid any potential digestive discomfort, but there is no right or wrong way to consume them together.