Millenium Prize Problem solved

• Thread starter JcX
  • Start date
In summary, Grigoriy Perelman has been awarded the Millennium Prize for solving the Poincaré Conjecture.
JcX
After a century time, the millennium of Poincaré Conjecture has been solved by Dr. Grigoriy Perelman.

March 18, 2010

The Clay Mathematics Institute (CMI) announces today that Dr. Grigoriy Perelman of St. Petersburg, Russia, is the recipient of the Millennium Prize for resolution of the Poincaré conjecture. The citation for the award reads:

The Clay Mathematics Institute hereby awards the Millennium Prize for resolution of the Poincaré conjecture to Grigoriy Perelman.

The Poincaré conjecture is one of the seven Millennium Prize Problems established by CMI in 2000. The Prizes were conceived to record some of the most difficult problems with which mathematicians were grappling at the turn of the second millennium; to elevate in the consciousness of the general public the fact that in mathematics, the frontier is still open and abounds in important unsolved problems; to emphasize the importance of working towards a solution of the deepest, most difficult problems; and to recognize achievement in mathematics of historical magnitude.

http://claymath.org/poincare/index.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's hope they haven't just been checking the proof all this time...!

He solved this back in 2006 or something. Why did it take them so long to give him the prize?

Also, he turned down the Fields medal after he completed the proof, I wonder if he'll accept this one or turn it down also

I bet you must referring this from Wikipedia, but is that true?
Because from the official website from Claymath, they didn't mention about this case where he solved it long ago.

Actually, I'm referencing what I heard when this occurred, but there are certainly sources that still exist:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5274040.stm

Grigory Perelman, the Russian who seems to have solved one of the hardest problems in mathematics, has declined one of the discipline's top awards.

Dr Perelman was to have been presented with the prestigious Fields Medal by King Juan Carlos of Spain, at a ceremony in Madrid on Tuesday.

Hmmmm... I guess you're correct after all.
I didn't follow much from the previous news, I'm just focusing on the news where Claymath officially announced that the problem has been solved.

If Dr. Grigoriy Perelman refuses it, he's going to be a hero.

I thought you'd say "...then I'm willing to take the money" :')

haushofer said:
I thought you'd say "...then I'm willing to take the money" :')

Great idea!

1. What is the Millennium Prize Problem?

The Millennium Prize Problem is a set of seven unsolved mathematical problems that were identified by the Clay Mathematics Institute in 2000. These problems are considered to be some of the most difficult and important in the field of mathematics.

2. What are the requirements for solving a Millennium Prize Problem?

In order to claim the $1 million prize for solving a Millennium Prize Problem, a proof of the solution must be published in a reputable peer-reviewed mathematics journal and be accepted by the mathematical community.

3. How many Millennium Prize Problems have been solved?

As of 2021, only one of the seven Millennium Prize Problems has been solved. The Poincaré Conjecture was solved by Russian mathematician Grigori Perelman in 2003, but he declined the prize money and recognition.

4. Who can attempt to solve a Millennium Prize Problem?

Anyone can attempt to solve a Millennium Prize Problem, regardless of their age, nationality, or academic credentials. However, these problems are extremely difficult and have stumped even the most renowned mathematicians for decades.

5. What is the significance of solving a Millennium Prize Problem?

Solving a Millennium Prize Problem would not only earn the solver a $1 million prize, but it would also have a major impact on the field of mathematics. It could lead to breakthroughs in other areas of mathematics and have real-world applications in fields such as physics and computer science.