Miller Indexing crystal structures

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Ross is looking for standard indexed diffraction patterns for an unknown compound that he has obtained a TEM diffraction pattern for. He has consulted various resources such as books and papers, but has been unable to find a match. He is seeking suggestions on where to find such patterns and may also consider using software for assistance.
RossJJ
Hello,

I have a TEM diffraction pattern of an unknown compound. I have obtained the camera constant and hence measured the lattice constants. Unfortunately I was unable to do EDX analysis of the area and have ~10 possible elements present. So I need to index the miller indices to obtain the lattice vectors. I have tried looking in Carter and William's TEM book for indexed diffraction patterns but none of them fit. It was mentioned that Rarey CR, Stringer J, Edington JW (1966) Trans AIME 236 811 has them but the paper I found doesn't give images etc. Does anyone know where I can find standard indexed diffraction patterns?

Muchas Gracias,

Ross

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Ross,

Thank you for your post. Indexing diffraction patterns can be a challenging task, especially when there are multiple possible elements present. Here are a few suggestions that may help you in your search for standard indexed diffraction patterns:

1. Consult with other experts in the field: It may be helpful to reach out to other scientists or researchers who have experience with indexing diffraction patterns. They may be able to provide valuable insights or point you in the direction of resources that could be helpful.

2. Check online databases: There are several online databases that provide indexed diffraction patterns for various compounds. Some examples include the International Centre for Diffraction Data (ICDD) database and the Crystallography Open Database (COD). These databases may have the standard indexed diffraction patterns you are looking for.

3. Look for published papers or books: In addition to the Rarey et al. paper you mentioned, there may be other published papers or books that contain indexed diffraction patterns for various compounds. It may be helpful to search for keywords such as "indexed diffraction patterns" or "lattice vectors" in scientific databases or online search engines.

4. Consider using software: There are also software programs available that can help with indexing diffraction patterns. These programs use algorithms to match the observed diffraction pattern with known patterns in their database. Some examples include PowderCell and JANA2006.

I hope these suggestions will be helpful to you in your search. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is Miller Indexing and why is it used in crystallography?

Miller Indexing is a method used in crystallography to describe the orientation and arrangement of atoms within a crystal structure. It involves identifying and labeling specific planes and directions within the crystal lattice. This system is used because it provides a standardized way to communicate and understand the structure of crystals.

2. How are Miller Indices determined?

Miller Indices are determined by first identifying the intercepts of a plane with the three axes of a crystal lattice. These intercepts are then represented as integers, and are written in parentheses with no commas or separating symbols. The indices are then simplified to their lowest terms, and enclosed in square brackets.

3. What is the significance of a plane with a Miller Index of (0 0 1)?

A plane with a Miller Index of (0 0 1) is a basal plane, meaning it is parallel to the base of the crystal. This plane is typically the largest and most exposed surface of a crystal, and its orientation can greatly affect the physical properties and behavior of the crystal.

4. Can Miller Indices be negative?

No, Miller Indices cannot be negative. They are always expressed as positive integers, even if the intercepts with the axes are negative. If a plane does not intersect with an axis, the Miller Index for that axis is represented as infinity (∞).

5. How are Miller Indices used to determine crystal symmetry?

Miller Indices can be used to determine the symmetry of a crystal by identifying the symmetry elements that are present. For example, a plane with a Miller Index of (1 0 0) indicates a mirror plane, while a plane with a Miller Index of (1 1 0) indicates a 2-fold rotation axis. By analyzing the Miller Indices of multiple planes within a crystal, the overall symmetry of the crystal can be determined.