Miller Indices Calculation Question

In summary, to find the Miller indices of a plane, you need at least two non-parallel directions that lie on the plane and use the equation h~1/a, k~1/b, l~1/c to solve for the indices. If the plane passes through the origin, you can either choose a different position or use a different set of directions to determine the indices.
rtellez700

Homework Statement

Give the Miller indices of the plane that is define by the two directions [111] and [2[itex]\overline{1}[/itex]3]?

Homework Equations

h~1/a
k~1/b
l~1/c

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for miller indices once you know the the intercepts of the plane. So I found the equation for the plane but it happens to cross through the origin. I know that I am either suppose to move the origin or move the plane to a parallel position. How do i know where this position is? Or can any position i choose be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! In order to determine the Miller indices of a plane, you need to have at least two non-parallel directions that lie on the plane. In this case, you have the [111] and [2\overline{1}3] directions, which are not parallel. So, you can use the equation h~1/a, k~1/b, l~1/c to solve for the Miller indices. However, as you mentioned, the plane may pass through the origin, which means that one of the intercepts will be zero. In this case, you can either choose a different position for the plane or use a different set of directions to determine the Miller indices. Remember, the Miller indices represent the relative spacing between planes in a crystal lattice, so the position of the plane is not as important as the directions that define it. I hope this helps!

1. What are Miller Indices and how are they calculated?

Miller Indices are a notation system used in crystallography to represent the orientation of crystal planes and directions. They are calculated by taking the reciprocal of the intercepts of the plane or direction on the crystallographic axes and then reducing the resulting numbers to their smallest integer values.

2. How do I determine the Miller Indices of a given plane or direction?

To determine the Miller Indices, you must first identify the intercepts of the plane or direction on the crystallographic axes. Then, take the reciprocal of these intercepts and reduce the numbers to their smallest integer values. These values will be the Miller Indices of the plane or direction.

3. Can Miller Indices be negative numbers?

No, Miller Indices cannot be negative numbers. They are always expressed as positive integers or as zero if the plane or direction does not intersect with a particular axis.

4. Why are Miller Indices important in crystallography?

Miller Indices provide a convenient and standardized way to describe the orientation of crystal planes and directions. This information is crucial in understanding the physical and chemical properties of crystals, as well as in determining how they will interact with other materials.

5. How are Miller Indices used in crystal structure determination?

Miller Indices are used in crystal structure determination to identify and describe the locations of atoms within a crystal lattice. By understanding the orientation of crystal planes and directions, scientists can determine the arrangement of atoms and the overall structure of a crystal.