Can Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment Accurately Measure the Elementary Charge?

In summary: We did that experiment in real life when I was a student (about 50 years ago). We got several tens on electrons on a single drop, and then subtracted the charge values in hope that the smallest difference would be the elementary charge, but it never came out. So we did a very modern thing: We simulated the measurement data :wink: and then evaluated them. And we also wondered if Millikan really succeeded to obtain the elementary charge from his experiment.
silentcoder

Homework Statement

Hi, I had to calculate the charge of an oil drop using a lab simulation

Homework Equations

q = mgd/v

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the result i came up with:
Capture.png

The charges are not multiple of 1.6x10^-19 C. How can i fix this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You realze I hope that even for your smallest oil drop you had about 2.9e-12/1.6e-19 = 18,125,000 electrons on that oil drop! And you expect to resolve to within 1 electron?

You need either a much smaller drop or, much more plausibly, you need to reduce the number of electrons on each drop. Millikan himself managed to put no more than about a dozen electrons on his drops.

You certainly use wrong units for the radius. Can you imagine a half-meter size drop of oil? How did you measure the size of the oil drops?

ehild

Last edited:
So it was simulation... Nice. Have you noticed that one scale is 0.5 mm? So the radii were wrong. Anyway, you can not get the electric charge with that simulation. It results too big charges, order of 10-12 C.

We did that experiment in real life when I was a student (about 50 years ago). We got several tens on electrons on a single drop, and then subtracted the charge values in hope that the smallest difference would be the elementary charge, but it never came out. So we did a very modern thing: We simulated the measurement data :wink: and then evaluated them. And we also wondered if Millikan really succeeded to obtain the elementary charge from his experiment.

ehild

1. What is the purpose of the Millikan Oil Drop Lab?

The purpose of the Millikan Oil Drop Lab is to measure the charge of an electron by observing the motion of oil droplets in an electric field.

2. How does the Millikan Oil Drop Lab work?

In the lab, oil droplets are sprayed into a chamber where they fall through a small hole. A light source illuminates the droplets, making them visible under a microscope. An electric field is then applied, and the motion of the droplets is observed and recorded. By measuring the speed and direction of the droplets, the charge of the electrons can be calculated.

3. What are the materials required for the Millikan Oil Drop Lab?

The materials required for the lab include a spray bottle for oil, a microscope, an electric field source, a light source, and a recording device such as a camera or computer.

4. What is the significance of the Millikan Oil Drop Lab in science?

The Millikan Oil Drop Lab is significant because it provided the first direct measurement of the charge of an electron, which was previously only estimated. This experiment also helped to confirm the quantization of electric charge and was a crucial step in understanding the atomic structure of matter.

5. Are there any potential sources of error in the Millikan Oil Drop Lab?

Yes, there are several potential sources of error in the lab, including air currents affecting the motion of the droplets, variations in the electric field strength, and errors in measurement and calculation. It is important to take multiple measurements and apply statistical analysis to minimize these errors and increase the accuracy of the results.