Solving Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment - Practical Tips Needed

• Thread starter jaderberg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drop Oil
In summary, the key to success in the oil drop experiment is to ensure optimal conditions, such as a fine mist from the atomizer, proper voltage, focused microscope, and reduced glare. Be systematic in your analysis and you will be able to isolate and analyze drops with lower charges.
jaderberg
Im doing millikan's oil drop experiment as my A level physics coursework to eventually calculate the electronic charge. I am fine with all the theory but what I am really struggling with is the actual practical experiment.

I have seen the oil drops a lot and have managed to manipulate them using a voltage however now when I've come back to the experiment after the weekend i can't see anything and if i do see something its just a really faint cloud of oil drops where i can't pick out a single one to analyse. Why is it so temperamental?

Also i got some initial results for oil drops (which came out to be about 2micrometers radius) under a voltage of around 200v but the charge was far too high (approximate to 100-200 electrons). I hooked up the apparatus to a higher voltage and tried to take some results (at about 1000-2000V) but didnt get much...are all my oil drops too highly charged? I really want to isolate and analyse some which only have a few electrons on them but this seems impossible. Would removing the rubber end of the atomiser stop the oil drops from being so highly charged?

Any help would be really appreciated as well as any practical tips for the experiment (i only have 4 hours left!)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!The most important part of the oil drop experiment is to ensure that the conditions are optimal for the experiment. To do this, make sure your atomizer is producing a fine mist, and that your voltage is set correctly. You can adjust the voltage to try and get lower charges on the oil drops, but be aware that too low of a voltage might cause the drops to evaporate quickly. You should also make sure that your microscope is properly focused, as it will be a lot easier to see and analyze the drops. Additionally, you should make sure that the chamber is not too bright, as this could cause glare or reflection which might interfere with the drops. Finally, you should try to be as systematic as possible when analyzing the drops. Try to identify a single drop, analyze its charge, and move on to the next one. This will help you to get more accurate results.

First of all, congratulations on tackling such a challenging experiment for your A level physics coursework! The Millikan oil drop experiment can be quite tricky, but with some practical tips and patience, you will be able to successfully complete it and calculate the electronic charge.

One of the main reasons why the experiment can be temperamental is because it is highly sensitive to external factors such as air currents, humidity, and temperature. Even the slightest changes in these factors can affect the behavior of the oil drops, making it difficult to observe and manipulate them. To minimize these effects, it is important to conduct the experiment in a controlled environment with minimal air movement and stable temperature and humidity levels. You can also try using a fan or air conditioner to create a stable environment.

In terms of the oil drops being too highly charged, this could be due to the atomizer or the rubber end of the atomizer. The rubber end can create static electricity, which can lead to the oil drops being highly charged. Removing the rubber end and using a different atomizer (such as a glass one) can help reduce the charge on the oil drops.

Another practical tip is to use a high-intensity light source, such as a bright LED or a laser pointer, to illuminate the oil drops. This will make them easier to see and analyze. You can also try using a microscope to get a closer look at the oil drops and their movements.

Lastly, when analyzing the oil drops, make sure to take multiple measurements and average them out to get a more accurate result. Also, try to use a lower voltage to manipulate the oil drops, as this can help reduce the charge on them and make it easier to observe and measure their movements.

Overall, the key to success in the Millikan oil drop experiment is to be patient and persistent. Keep trying different techniques and adjustments until you are able to get consistent and accurate results. Good luck with your experiment!

1. What is Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment?

Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment is an experiment conducted by physicist Robert Millikan in 1909 to determine the charge of an electron. It involves observing the motion of tiny oil droplets in an electric field and using mathematical calculations to determine the charge on the droplets.

2. What practical tips can help with solving Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment?

Some practical tips for solving Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment include using a clean and stable setup, adjusting the voltage and electric field carefully, and taking multiple measurements to reduce errors. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of the theory and equations involved in the experiment.

3. How long does it take to complete Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment?

The time it takes to complete Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment can vary depending on the experience and skill level of the scientist conducting it. On average, it can take several hours to set up the equipment, conduct the experiment, and analyze the data.

4. What are some common challenges faced when solving Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment?

Some common challenges faced when solving Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment include inaccuracies in measurements due to air currents, difficulty in adjusting the voltage and electric field precisely, and errors in mathematical calculations. It is important to be patient and diligent in addressing these challenges to obtain accurate results.

5. How is the charge of an electron determined in Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment?

The charge of an electron is determined by observing the motion of oil droplets in the experiment and using the equations for the motion of charged particles in an electric field. By varying the voltage and electric field, the charge on the droplets can be adjusted until they remain stationary, allowing for the calculation of the charge on a single electron.