Why did Millikan use terminal velocity in his oil experiment?

In summary, Millikan allowed the oil drop to fall in terminal velocity because he did not have a microscope that could accurately measure its radius and he wanted to avoid any additional inaccuracies that could arise from experimental measurements. This decision was based on the fact that terminal velocity is a universal concept described by Newtonian physics, ensuring more accurate results.
al_201314
My question is that why did Millikan allow the oil drop to fall in terminal velocity and thus solving for the radius of the oil drop to find its mass eventually and not using a microscope to measure the oil drop's radius?

This is one part of my tutorial question and I really have no idea though it sounds simple. Appreciate any inputs!

Physics news on Phys.org
al_201314 said:
My question is that why did Millikan allow the oil drop to fall in terminal velocity and thus solving for the radius of the oil drop to find its mass eventually and not using a microscope to measure the oil drop's radius?

Two options :

1) Millikan did not have a microscope that could do the job properly
2) He wanted to avoid the inaccuracies that arise when using such device. Therminal velocity is an "universal" concept that is properly described by Newtonian physics. Using this concept does not introduce additional inaccuracies due to any kind of experimental measurement.

marlon

Thanks Marlon I thought of that too but was just wondering if there was a scientific answer or reason to it.. if scientific's the word to use. thanks for the reply !

1. What is Millikan's Oil Experiment?

Millikan's Oil Experiment, also known as the "Oil Drop Experiment", was a physics experiment conducted by Robert Millikan in 1909 to determine the charge of an electron.

2. How did Millikan conduct his experiment?

Millikan's experiment involved suspending tiny oil droplets in a chamber between two metal plates. He then applied an electric field to the chamber and observed the movement of the droplets under the influence of the field.

3. What was the significance of Millikan's experiment?

Millikan's experiment was significant because it provided the first accurate measurement of the charge of an electron, which was previously only known as a unit of charge. This experiment also proved the existence of individual electrons, which was a major breakthrough in the understanding of atomic structure.

4. What were the results of Millikan's experiment?

Millikan's experiment determined the charge of an electron to be 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs with a very small margin of error. This measurement was later used to calculate the mass of an electron and contributed to the development of the modern atomic theory.

5. How did Millikan's experiment impact the field of science?

Millikan's Oil Experiment had a significant impact on the field of science. It provided concrete evidence for the existence of individual electrons and their charge, which led to further advancements in atomic theory and the understanding of electricity. This experiment also set a standard for precise and accurate measurements in scientific research.