Milliken Oil Drop Problem anyone? .

• Thread starter shikagami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drop Oil
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the charge on an electron using data from a Milliken oil drop experiment. The steps involved in the calculation include finding the electric field, determining the mass, and plugging these values into the equation q=mg/E. The final result is 2.706 x 10^-8 coulombs, which is the charge on an electron.
shikagami
Can some one help me with this Milliken oil drop problem.

Data from a Milliken oil drop experiment are given below. Calculate the value of the charge on an electron from this data:

Voltage needed to suspend drop (V) Drop diameter (microns)
103------ 1.1
44.7----- 1.2
127------ 1.6
175------ 1.5
11.3----- 0.9

Given:
Plate separation: 0.5cm
Density of oil: 0.95 g/mL
Gravitational constant: 9.80 m/s^2

Ok... this is what I did: q=mg/E
1. I calculated for electric field first since: E= kV/m
2. One microns is equal to 10^-6 m
3. I changed volts into kV.
4. I took the average of all 5 of the electric fields and got 67896.71718 kV/m
5. Now I solved for the mass by cubing the plate separation and canceled it with the mL... to get grams then I changed grams into kilograms to get 1.1875 x 10^-4 kg.
6. And finally I plug everything back into the equation: q=mg/E and get the answer of 2.706 x 10^-8 coulombs.

Please tell me if I did it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one wants to try?

I am unable to verify if your calculations are correct without seeing your work and the specific equations you used. However, your approach seems correct and your final answer is within the expected range for the charge of an electron. I would suggest double checking your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it is always helpful to show your work and explain your thought process when asking for help with a problem. This can help others understand your reasoning and provide more accurate feedback.

1. What is the Milliken Oil Drop Experiment?

The Milliken Oil Drop Experiment is an experiment conducted by physicist Robert Milliken in 1909 to determine the charge of an electron. This experiment involved measuring the motion of tiny oil droplets in an electric field.

2. How does the Milliken Oil Drop Experiment work?

The experiment involves suspending oil droplets in a vacuum chamber and observing their motion under the influence of an electric field. By varying the strength of the electric field, the charge on the oil droplets can be determined.

3. What were the results of the Milliken Oil Drop Experiment?

Milliken's experiment showed that the charge on the oil droplets was always a multiple of a fundamental unit of charge, which was later determined to be the charge of a single electron. This confirmed the existence of discrete particles of electricity and helped to accurately determine the charge of an electron.

4. Why is the Milliken Oil Drop Experiment important?

The Milliken Oil Drop Experiment provided a direct and accurate method for measuring the charge of an electron, which was previously unknown. This experiment also helped to confirm the particle nature of electricity and contributed to the development of modern atomic theory.

5. Has the Milliken Oil Drop Experiment been replicated?

Yes, the Milliken Oil Drop Experiment has been replicated multiple times by different scientists, and the results have been consistent. This experiment is still widely used in physics education to demonstrate the principles of charge and electric fields.