What are the minimum and maximum values of theta for the moment equation?

In summary, the problem is to determine the angles theta between 0 and 180 that will produce maximum and minimum moments about point A, given a 70N force acting on the end of a pipe at B. The equation for the moment is M = (70cos\theta * 0.9) + (70sin\theta * 0.7), and its derivative is -63sin\theta + 49cos\theta. By looking at the reality, it is clear that the graph of the moment is a hill, with the maximum at tantheta = 7/9 and the minimum at 180º.
Altairs

Homework Statement

The 70N force acts on the end of the pipe at B. determine the angles theta between 0 and 180 of the force that will produce maximum and minimum moments about point A.

Homework Equations

FBD is attached.

The Attempt at a Solution

I made the following equation then took its derivative and put it equal to 0. The problem here is that I only get one value of theta. the one which gives the maximum value of the moment. there isn't any other value of tan coming withing 0-180. How do I get the minimum value of theta from this method. Wasn't I automatically supposed to get two value of theta from the first derivative and then I could I have gone further to second derivative to check if it was min or max. I am stuck.

Equation :- [tex]M = (70cos\theta * 0.9) + (70sin\theta * 0.7)[/tex]
Derivative :- [tex] = -63sin\theta + 49cos\theta [/tex]

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    211.9 KB · Views: 1,185
Physics news on Phys.org
Altairs said:
I made the following equation then took its derivative and put it equal to 0. The problem here is that I only get one value of theta. the one which gives the maximum value of the moment. there isn't any other value of tan coming withing 0-180. How do I get the minimum value of theta from this method. Wasn't I automatically supposed to get two value of theta from the first derivative and then I could I have gone further to second derivative to check if it was min or max. I am stuck.

Equation :- [tex]M = (70cos\theta * 0.9) + (70sin\theta * 0.7)[/tex]
Derivative :- [tex] = -63sin\theta + 49cos\theta [/tex]

Hi Altairs! :smile:

(btw, I haven't seen the picture yet)

erm … sometimes it's maths, and sometimes it's just looking at the reality.

It often helps to draw a diagram (roughly).

The graph of the moment should look like a hill.

At 0º, the derivative is 49, which is positive; at 180º, it is -49, which is negative.

So the moment is already increasing at 0º, and is still decreasing at 180º.

So one of them may be a minimum … :smile:

Sorry. Can't get it. Would be easier with a few equations.

Hi Altairs! :smile:

(Still can't get the picture - I keep getting the please-log-in screen! :cry:)

At 0º, the moment is 63; it goes up until tantheta = 7/9; then it goes down until, at 180º, it is -63.

So the maximum is at tantheta = 7/9, them minimum is at 180º. :smile:

What is the definition of "Min and max value of moment"?

The min and max value of moment refers to the minimum and maximum amount of force that can be exerted on an object to cause it to rotate or turn around a fixed point.

How is the min and max value of moment calculated?

The min and max value of moment is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the object's pivot point (where it rotates) to the point where the force is being applied.

What factors affect the min and max value of moment?

The min and max value of moment can be affected by the amount of force applied, the distance from the pivot point, and the angle at which the force is applied.

Why is it important to understand the min and max value of moment?

Understanding the min and max value of moment is important in engineering and design, as it helps determine the stability and strength of structures and machines. It also allows for the calculation of necessary safety factors to prevent potential failures.

How can the min and max value of moment be applied in real life?

The min and max value of moment can be applied in real life in various fields such as architecture, construction, and mechanical engineering. It is used to determine the strength and stability of buildings, bridges, and other structures, as well as in the design of machines and tools.