Min/Max angle of a force applied to stationary mass.

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a block of mass m pressed against a vertical surface by a constant force Fh, and finding the maximum and minimum angles at which the force can be applied for the block to remain stationary. The solution involves creating a free-body diagram and balancing forces in the x and y directions. The equation to solve involves the normal force and the maximum and minimum values can be found using calculus.
pirland
Ok, I've been having some real trouble with this problem. Either I’m missing some key piece of reasoning or it’s harder then it seems.

If a block of mass m is pressed against a vertical surface by a constant force Fh, what are the maximum and minimum angels that that force can be applied and still have the block remain stationary? Express in terms of m, g, theta, and mu.”

Now I assume that what is needed is to equate the maximum static friction force to the total force applied parallel to the surface, but I’m having trouble finding an equation that will give me my answer. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free-body diagram for the block.

You have two components of force going down, gravity and the y component of the applied force. Gravity is given by mg and, supposing theta is the angle of elevation, the y-component of the applied force is [itex]F\sin{\theta}[/itex]. The normal force is the only force going up, and is opposite and equal to the sum of the downward forces, since there cannot be any net y-component of force.

You have one force in each horizontal direction. On one side you have the x-component of applied force, [itex]F\cos{\theta}[/itex]. On the other side you have the force of static friction, [itex]F_n \mu[/itex], where [itex]F_n[/itex] is the normal force. Again, these two forces must balance.

Can you take it from there?

--J

Clarification

Sorry, I should have specified more, the problem that I'm having is with the resolving of the actual equation. Since the block has not passed through the wall the horizontal force is being countered by the normal force, causing balance in the x axis. What I believe I'm looking for is a way to solve for theta in a situation where the static force is exactly equal to the sum of all forces in the y axis. When I put that together mathmatically I get something along the lines of:

-cos(theta)Fh*mu=sin(theta)Fh+Fg

But I can't seem to resolve it into anything useful, mainly the maximum and minimum values of theta. If the above equation is in fact correct could you point me in the righ direction for solving it?

Oh, I totally misread the question. Sorry about that.

In the x-direction, there's the applied force and the normal force.

[tex]0 = F_h \cos{\theta} + F_N = 0[/tex]

Note that the normal force will be negative, as it's pointing in the opposite direction.

In the y-direction, there's the applied force, gravity, and the static friction force.

[tex] 0 = F_h \sin{\theta} + F_g + F_s[/tex]

[itex]F_g[/itex], as I'm sure you know, is mg. [itex]F_s = F_N \mu[/itex], so you must solve the first equation for [itex]F_N[/itex] and substitute it in there. This gives you an equation you can work with, as it has only one nonconstant, i.e. [itex]\theta[/itex].

In order to find the maximum and minimum values, you must use calculus.

--J

Sorry to be so long in responding, I got a nasty flu bug. The above information was just what I needed to break through my mental block, thanks for your prompt and informative response.

1. What is the minimum angle of a force that can be applied to a stationary mass?

The minimum angle of a force that can be applied to a stationary mass is 0 degrees. This means that the force is acting directly on the mass, resulting in the maximum amount of force being transferred.

2. What is the maximum angle of a force that can be applied to a stationary mass?

The maximum angle of a force that can be applied to a stationary mass is 90 degrees. This means that the force is acting perpendicular to the mass, resulting in the minimum amount of force being transferred.

3. How does the angle of the force affect the amount of force transferred to a stationary mass?

The angle of the force directly affects the amount of force transferred to a stationary mass. The closer the angle is to 0 degrees, the more force will be transferred. As the angle increases towards 90 degrees, the amount of force transferred decreases.

4. Can the angle of the force applied to a stationary mass be negative?

No, the angle of the force cannot be negative. Angles are measured in a counter-clockwise direction from the positive x-axis, and negative angles do not exist in this context.

5. How is the angle of the force determined when applying it to a stationary mass?

The angle of the force can be determined by visualizing the direction of the force in relation to the mass. It can also be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.