Minature accelerometer design

In summary, the cantilever needs to be stiff enough so that the natural frequency is 2 kHz, and the dimensions of the accelerometer cantilever need to be designed such that the mass of the beam is less than 2% of the proof-mass. Silicon was selected for the cantilever because it has a higher stiffness than Aluminum. The cantilever will see a deflection of 10g subjected to a 10g acceleration. The amount of damping needed is dependent on the settling time of the accelerometer.
Gradon
Accelerometer Design: You have been asked to help design an accelerometer with a measurement bandwidth of 1000 Hz using a cantilevered design (see figure). The cantilever (c) has a rectangular cross-section and the proof-mass (m) is 1 gram. The cantilever can be made from single-crystal Silicon [E=190 GPa, ρ =2.3 g/cm3] or Aluminum [E = 75 GPa, ρ =2.7 g/cm3], your choice.
upload_2015-7-25_8-1-56.png

Assuming this accelerometer design can be properly modeled and analyzed as a second order system (i.e., a lumped mass-spring-damper, ignoring the mass of the cantilever), please answer the following:

a) What is the amount of stiffness in the spring element such that the natural frequency of the device is 2 kHz. Is this a good natural frequency for an accelerometer that may be used for accelerations of frequencies up to 1 kHz?

b) Please design the dimensions of the accelerometer cantilever given the stiffness calculated in part (a) such that the mass of the beam is less than 2% of the proof-mass. Also comment on which material (Silicon or Aluminum) you selected and explain why you selected this material. [Hints: This is a design problem so there are multiple solutions. If you want a more specific (constrained) case, consider a square cantilever cross-section. Recall that the deflection of a cantilever can be modeled as a linear spring and watch your units].

c) How much deflection will your designed accelerometer cantilever see subjected to a 10g acceleration (g = 9.8 m/s2) resulting from an external force (F) (assume that the cantilever is massless)?

d) Assume the requirements are that the settling time of accelerometer must be less than 20 milliseconds, what is the amount of viscous damping (or damping ratio) needed? [Hint: Assume the accelerometer is underdamped]
solve:
a.

For a cantilevered beam, the 1st natural Frep is
where B=pi/2, L=length of cantlevered, E young's moduler, I=b.h^3/12,
b. i don't know
c. deflection at beam delta=M.L/2EF
d. i don't know
can you help me to solve and edit my answer?

Attachments

• HW 5b - sensors [Compatibility Mode] - Word_2.jpg
    HW 5b - sensors [Compatibility Mode] - Word_2.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a. You might want to include the missing formula in your post?
b. Can you attempt something here? It seems like it would be easy.
c. I don't think your formula is right. You may also need to assume a time variable.
d. Do you know a formula with damping you could use?

Likes Gradon
paisiello2 said:
a. You might want to include the missing formula in your post?
b. Can you attempt something here? It seems like it would be easy.
c. I don't think your formula is right. You may also need to assume a time variable.
d. Do you know a formula with damping you could use?
can you show your answer more detail? please ., thanks

If you want others to put in effort to help you, you should make an effort too.
Can you answer b & d?

1. What is a miniature accelerometer?

A miniature accelerometer is a small electronic device that measures acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity. It typically consists of a mass suspended by a spring, with a sensing element that detects the movement of the mass and converts it into an electrical signal.

2. How does a miniature accelerometer work?

A miniature accelerometer works by measuring the force exerted on the sensing element by the mass as it moves in response to acceleration. This force is converted into an electrical signal, which can then be interpreted to determine the magnitude and direction of the acceleration.

3. What are the applications of miniature accelerometers?

Miniature accelerometers have a wide range of applications, including in consumer electronics such as smartphones and fitness trackers, as well as in industrial and automotive systems for monitoring vibrations, impacts, and tilt. They are also used in aerospace and defense for navigation and guidance systems.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a miniature accelerometer?

When designing a miniature accelerometer, factors such as size, weight, sensitivity, dynamic range, and power consumption must be carefully considered. The design must also take into account the intended application and the environment in which the accelerometer will be used.

5. What are the challenges in designing miniature accelerometers?

Some of the challenges in designing miniature accelerometers include achieving high sensitivity and accuracy while maintaining a small size, reducing noise and interference, and ensuring the reliability and durability of the device. Additionally, the manufacturing process must be carefully controlled to ensure consistency and quality in the production of these sensitive devices.