Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mince Pie Fusion

1. Dec 21, 2003 #1
    Could anybody give me any suggestions, as to how i could convert 1 mince pie into around about 70 000J of energy, which could be used to power an engine of some sort ?

I ask this, as im creating a santa statistic :P not very origonal anymore i grant you, however, i was hoping to create a diagram of santas sled and how it works :) so any suggestions, in the christmas spirit are very much appreicated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2003 #2
    Eat it and you be the engine. The pie should be worth at least 100 times that.

Doug

4. Dec 21, 2003 #3
    everythign i eat is used to power my body, the sled is the body i need to power :)

5. Dec 22, 2003 #4
    Here's a suggestion:

Go to your local depleted uranium store, pick up ohhh, 26 lbs of the stuff in two separate pieces, smash it together with the mince pie and then put it into a gas centrifuge to separate the lighter U-235 from the heavier non-fissionable U-238. Then get a detonator capable of fusing the two pieces together and voila! You have your power source for santie to go sledding all over the world.... in a million pieces, but he is still going all over the world.

6. Dec 22, 2003 #5

Njorl

Science Advisor

Obviously you need a mince pie - anti mince pie reactor (and an anti mince pie). As the pies are brought into contact, the pions and anti-pions annihilate each other, completely releasing their mass as energy.

Njorl

7. Dec 22, 2003 #6
    right, look. I am actually looking for serious answers now, Andthensome, i dont want sometign which would result in santa being blown up, thats just stupid. Njorl, thats a good idea (with the anti-mince pies) however, its a bit too much energy. I want it like you have a fuel tank, and you put pies in it like you do petrol in a car :)

Obviously i dont want a perfect conversion (mass->energy releasing far in excess of a megatonne nuclear explosion's worth of energy). Like it uses chemical energy as te human body does! (but as i have sad, i dont wanna know how santa himself can power it !)

thanks!

8. Dec 23, 2003 #7
    LOL, but having mince pies as the fuel source in the sled of an imaginary character isn't? oooookay, whatever.

9. Dec 23, 2003 #8

Njorl

Science Advisor

But children in other galaxies need toys too!

Njorl

10. Dec 24, 2003 #9
    if you dpont know an answer then just dont post! if i wanted non related answers i would have put them in the "nobody really wants an answer but uselss replys" forum.

I want a theoretical solution to this problem. Maybe if you say its a car and a person doing the same journey (and wyes, the car can drive over water and through buildings). In fact, lets call it a ghost car.

11. Dec 26, 2003 #10
    hmmmm, can you not work out how much energy is contained in 1 mince pie, find the best way of harnessing that energy and then use that to power his sled?

Seems abit obvious to me, but you may not have thought of that.

I do really like Njorl's Mince pie-anti mince pie reactor though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?