Struggling with Integrals? Here's How to Improve!

• Thread starter Vadim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, the speaker is struggling with understanding how to do integrals despite having a basic understanding of the concept and how to evaluate them. They are also aware that integrals can be used to find the area under a graph and the volume when rotated around an axis. They are seeking help and advice on how to improve their understanding and suggest practicing various techniques such as u substitution, trig substitution, and parts. They believe that with practice, they can become better at integrals.
Vadim
I'm coming to a realization that i really don't get how to do integrals.
i understand the basic concept, it's an anti-derivative. when you evaluate them, you sub in the values that you want to evaluate, and subtract them bottom from top.

i also understand that when you integrate, you get the area under the graph, and that you can use them to find the volume when you rotate the graph around an axis.

all that said, i still have extreme difficulty with them for no reason that i can pin point. I'm doing the course through distance ed, and my contact person is useless, so I'm turning here for a little help, if someone could point out something I'm missing, maybe just explain them again in a slightly different way...

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the basic concept down. I guess the most effective way to get good is to practice. I used to be horrible at integrals, but i have gotten much better, yet I am no expert...i practiced a lot. get familiar with all of the different techniques of integrals, like u substitution, trig sub, by parts..etc. And again, just practice, and you should get better.

Thank you for sharing your struggle with integrals. It's completely normal to have difficulty with them, as they can be quite complex and require a lot of practice and understanding. Here are a few tips that may help you improve your understanding and proficiency in integrals:

1. Practice, practice, practice: The more you practice, the more comfortable you will become with integrals. Try to solve as many problems as you can, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Learning from your mistakes is an important part of the learning process.

2. Understand the concept of integration: As you mentioned, integration is the reverse process of differentiation. It involves finding the anti-derivative or the original function from its derivative. Make sure you have a clear understanding of this concept before moving on to more complex integrals.

3. Familiarize yourself with different integration techniques: There are several techniques for solving integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. Make sure you are familiar with these techniques and know when to apply them.

4. Use resources and seek help: There are plenty of online resources, such as videos, tutorials, and practice problems, that can help you improve your understanding of integrals. You can also seek help from a tutor or your classmates if you are struggling with a specific concept.

5. Break down the problem: Sometimes integrals can look intimidating, but breaking them down into smaller, simpler steps can make them more manageable. Start by identifying the variables and constants, then try to simplify the integrand before attempting to solve it.

Remember, it's okay to struggle with integrals. Don't get discouraged and keep practicing and seeking help when needed. With determination and perseverance, you will improve your skills and become more confident in solving integrals.

1. What are integrals?

Integrals are mathematical tools used to determine the area under a curve or the net value of a function. They are also used to calculate the total distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity.

2. How do integrals relate to the concept of "mind boggled"?

Integrals can often be complex and require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts, making them a common topic that can leave people feeling "mind boggled". However, with practice and a solid understanding of the fundamentals, integrals can become more manageable and less intimidating.

3. What are some common applications of integrals?

Integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Specifically, they can be used to calculate areas and volumes, determine the probability of events, and model real-world situations.

4. What are the different types of integrals?

The two main types of integrals are definite and indefinite integrals. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration and give a single numerical value as a result. Indefinite integrals do not have limits of integration and represent a general family of functions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of integrals?

One way to improve your understanding of integrals is to practice solving different types of integrals using various techniques. It can also be helpful to review fundamental concepts such as the properties of integrals and techniques for finding antiderivatives. Seeking help from a tutor or attending a workshop can also aid in improving your understanding of integrals.