Mind control may not be as unrealistic as people think

In summary: There's a much easier, more successful form of mind control occurring every day, developed by Edward Bernays in the early 20th century. It was called propaganda at first; but when Bernays came to the US, the term had fallen out of favor so he started using the term "public relations". If you do some research on Bernays, you might be surprised how much of the US (from marketing to politics) has been influenced by him.
LastTimelord
Most nervous systems use electrical signals from the brain to control the body. Could one not theoretically interface a computer with the first vertebra to override commands from the brain, and control the body? I'm sure that biologists do not yet understand the nervous system enough to preform this, but surely it is a realistic possibility in the near future.

It wouldn't be mind control, it would be body control, but it would have the same effect.

Biology news on Phys.org
There are some modern researchers working on mind control using magnetic fields. Experiments show that strong magnetic fields can be used to cause hallucinations or to influence decisions. I think I first saw this on an episode of NOVA a year or so ago.

Reptillian said:
There are some modern researchers working on mind control using magnetic fields. Experiments show that strong magnetic fields can be used to cause hallucinations or to influence decisions. I think I first saw this on an episode of NOVA a year or so ago.
TMS research deals a lot with this. To the OP: yes in theory one could control the action potentials of nerve cells in the CNS but as you deduced this is far in advance of what we know how to do.

EDIT: actually on second thought just controlling the action potentials coming in and out of the brain wouldn't be enough for total control. Other forms of signalling (i.e. endocrine) would slip by your control.

Last edited:
There's a much easier, more successful form of mind control occurring every day, developed by Edward Bernays in the early 20th century.

It was called propaganda at first; but when Bernays came to the US, the term had fallen out of favor so he started using the term "public relations". If you do some research on Bernays, you might be surprised how much of the US (from marketing to politics) has been influenced by him.

Pythagorean said:
There's a much easier, more successful form of mind control occurring every day, developed by Edward Bernays in the early 20th century.

It was called propaganda at first; but when Bernays came to the US, the term had fallen out of favor so he started using the term "public relations". If you do some research on Bernays, you might be surprised how much of the US (from marketing to politics) has been influenced by him.

lol oh snap!

Clearly outside the context of the OP, but pretty funny.

Do you happen to watch "Newsroom"? :smile:

Mind control I think implies "bypassing" the conscious in the OPs context.

nitsuj said:
Mind control I think implies "bypassing" the conscious in the OPs context.
Actually I think the OP is talking about body control.

Ryan_m_b said:
Actually I think the OP is talking about body control.

do you know what controls the body? That'd be mind control. This is semantics right. Should we call it nervous system control, or neuron control? In either case it's not "conscious thought control".

I would argue that propaganda both bypasses consciousness (that was actually Bernays' platform: utilizing his uncle Freud's theories of subconscious human desire) AND controls the body (the body does the bidding of the agent, who is more concerned now, with pursuing private desires than contributing to a strong society).

The only difference is that Bernays used an audio/visual interface to send signals to the brain rather than a conducting wire or magnetic field; you might even argue visuals are a very precise electromagnetic field interacting with our brain's most sensitive electromagnetic detector (the eyes).

An excellent documentary: "Century of the Self"

nitsuj said:
do you know what controls the body? That'd be mind control. This is semantics right. Should we call it nervous system control, or neuron control? In either case it's not "conscious thought control".
It's not as semantically pedantic as that. The OP is talking about controlling the outputs of the brain, not necessarily controlling the brain itself.

Yeah, I think the OP is talking about micro-control: controlling the brain by knowing how neurons encode information. With propaganda, you don't need to know about neural coding, just have an intuition for associative psychology and tie people's desires and fears to irrational things.

The OP is talking about bypassing the brain and hijacking a person's body to use it as a robot. I don't think this will happen because it would be much easier to build a non-organic robot body from scratch than it would be to electronically control an organic one.

I think that the difference between propaganda and mind control would be that propaganda only influences a person's decisions, as opposed to making them.

controlling the body as in peripheral NS is easy. It's just a bunch muscles after all. Oh and sensory

1. Is mind control really possible?

While mind control may seem like something out of science fiction, there is evidence to suggest that it is possible to manipulate and control the thoughts and behaviors of other individuals. Studies have shown that certain techniques, such as hypnosis and subliminal messaging, can influence a person's thoughts and actions.

2. How does mind control work?

The exact mechanisms of mind control are still not fully understood, but it is believed to involve the manipulation of the brain's neural pathways and communication between different regions. It can also involve psychological tactics and techniques to influence a person's beliefs and behaviors.

3. Can anyone be a victim of mind control?

While it is possible for anyone to be influenced or manipulated to some extent, not everyone is susceptible to mind control. Factors such as a person's mental state, personality, and level of suggestibility can all play a role in their vulnerability to mind control techniques.

4. Are there any real-world examples of mind control?

There have been various reported cases of individuals or groups using mind control techniques for various purposes, such as in advertising, politics, and even cults. However, many of these claims are controversial and have not been scientifically proven.

5. Can we protect ourselves from mind control?

While there is no foolproof way to protect oneself from all forms of mind control, being aware of potential manipulation techniques and developing critical thinking skills can help to reduce susceptibility. It is also important to be cautious of anyone who tries to manipulate or control your thoughts or behaviors.