Mind vs Heart

• Thread starter Rx7man
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I know I can't speak for everyone here, but I would presume that most people in the sciences have either naturally or through schooling become analytical thinkers. Especially for the ones that are naturally analytical, have you found difficulty in being spontaneous, romantic, artistic, or any other attribute that's typically related to "heart" rather than "mind".. Do you have any advice for others? (ME??). Especially for mild introverts!

Answers and Replies

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
It is easy to get caught up in analyzing details. Sometimes you need to get a good cup of coffee and kick back and count the victories and/or what you have already figured out, rather than to be spinning the wheels on things that are very difficult to figure out. In addition, oftentimes it is the very simplest things that can provide the most pleasure=just tossing a ball up in the air and catching it can be fun, without adding all of the details like g=32 ft/sec^2. Being analytical can be a good thing, but it is sometimes good to be able to put it aside.

Likes Rx7man
Oh I have no problem ENJOYING simple things.. I have a herd of cattle and while I analyse the genetics, etc a lot, there's nothing better than being around them when they chew cud.
I'm talking more about acting on things where logic doesn't apply very well!.. Writing something with feeling so it doesn't sound mechanical for example

This is pretty easy to enjoy..

20170801_111044s.jpg

Attachments

Likes Charles Link and berkeman
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Oh I have no problem ENJOYING simple things.. I have a herd of cattle and while I analyse the genetics, etc a lot, there's nothing better than being around them when they chew cud.
I'm talking more about acting on things where logic doesn't apply very well!.. Writing something with feeling so it doesn't sound mechanical for example
In many cases, that kind of thing involves taking risks. With analyzing things, it is often very safe territory we are working with, because we can so often predict the outcome if we do a careful analysis. In the case of doing a performance or something out of the ordinary, the audience may like it or they may not...

In many cases, that kind of thing involves taking risks. With analyzing things, it is often very safe territory we are working with, because we can so often predict the outcome if we do a careful analysis. In the case of doing a performance or something out of the ordinary, the audience may like it or they may not...
That is precisely my problem!

I'm going to have to try and make a very long story short.. Met a girl 15 years ago, always liked her, she's been in one abusive relationship after another, last one ending 3 weeks ago, I wrote a masterpiece (in my opinion) of a christmas card where I actually opened up and put myself at greater risk than I ever have... With all the negative events in her life recently, I think it was a little overwhelming, and perhaps unexpected.. So I'm playing a waiting game which is driving my analytical mind bananas.. Also working on a followup letter which I'll hold off for a month or two on.

Likes Charles Link