Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minesweeper puzzle

1. Jun 16, 2005 #1
    Saw this at a website..
    [] [][][][] []
    [] 2 2 2 2 []
    [] 2 0 0 2 []
    [] 2 0 0 2 []
    [] 2 2 2 2 []
    [] [][][][] []

See if you can figure it out without guessing and checking (derive the solution logically). Might be easier for minesweeper addicts.

edit, darn the spacing is messed up.
    edit 2, good enough.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2

0 1 * * 1 0
    1 2 2 2 2 1
    * 2 0 0 2 *
    * 2 0 0 2 *
    1 2 2 2 2 1
    0 1 * * 1 0

4. Jun 16, 2005 #3
    yep, but what was your reasoning? (might be a pain to explain without pictures)

5. Jun 16, 2005 #4
  6. Jun 16, 2005 #5
    Ouch whozum!

Good puzzle, never saw that before. Answer was not too hard, I used 2 counterexamples to prove that it is the only way. Is there another way to prove it?

7. Jun 16, 2005 #6
    heh i can't believe you didn't see the 2 bombs on the (2bombs)3222(1bomb)
    same solution for (1bomb)2222(1bomb) but i gotta commend you (hope thats the write word) for you speed 60 sec with that little left...i isually done 3/4 at 60

8. Jun 16, 2005 #7
    for whozums you can immidiately see that the third mine from the right on the top row is a mine if you look at the 3 (with two marked near it) and the 2. If you considered this and theres something I didn't see let me know.

edit edit: forgot who i was responding to.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  9. Jun 16, 2005 #8
    It is always easy to see what you should have done after you lost :smile:

10. Jun 16, 2005 #9
    yes but there are certain patterns that others use that you may need to build into your set of patterns.

11. Jun 17, 2005 #10
    The reason its an 'ouch' is because I misclicked the corner mine (the Xd one) while meaning to go up to the mine right above the two. It wasn't that I didntk now what to do, its just I made a slip, which happens alot :(

That wouldve been my new record, probably about 65-70 :cry:

12. Jun 17, 2005 #11
    the answer I was looking for was something along the lines of:

Take a corner section of the puzzle, bottom right for example.

0 2 []
    2 2 []
    [][][]

refer to either "2" thats not in the corner. it's immidiately recognizable that at least 1 of the (shown) adjacent squares to either "2" has a mine (because each "2" is touching uncovered three squares total). Then consider the corner "2", only 2 of the 5 uncovered squares shown can contain mines which means that for each non-corner "2" only one of the shown adjacent squares contains a mine. It is then known that

..........X
    ....0 2 []
    ....2 2 []
    X [] [] []

there must be mines where the X's are, and it should be clear that this result will be produced from any corner of the puzzle (thus solving the whole thing).

Was it too obvious, not obvious enough, or just not worth writing out?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  13. Jun 19, 2005 #12
    I've seen it before, its obvious after process of elimination, but theres no 'trick' to it, you have to either know where to look or find out where to look.

I'm a minesweeper regular too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?