Can You Solve This Minesweeper Puzzle?

• Thread starter Greg825
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the author found a way to solve the puzzle using a pattern that is not too obvious, and is not a 'trick.'
Greg825
Saw this at a website..
[] [][][][] []
[] 2 2 2 2 []
[] 2 0 0 2 []
[] 2 0 0 2 []
[] 2 2 2 2 []
[] [][][][] []

See if you can figure it out without guessing and checking (derive the solution logically). Might be easier for minesweeper addicts.

edit, darn the spacing is messed up.
edit 2, good enough.

Physics news on Phys.org

0 1 * * 1 0
1 2 2 2 2 1
* 2 0 0 2 *
* 2 0 0 2 *
1 2 2 2 2 1
0 1 * * 1 0

yep, but what was your reasoning? (might be a pain to explain without pictures)

http://www.public.asu.edu/~hyousif/disappointment.JPG

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch whozum!

Good puzzle, never saw that before. Answer was not too hard, I used 2 counterexamples to prove that it is the only way. Is there another way to prove it?

heh i can't believe you didn't see the 2 bombs on the (2bombs)3222(1bomb)
same solution for (1bomb)2222(1bomb) but i got to commend you (hope that's the write word) for you speed 60 sec with that little left...i isually done 3/4 at 60

for whozums you can immidiately see that the third mine from the right on the top row is a mine if you look at the 3 (with two marked near it) and the 2. If you considered this and there's something I didn't see let me know.

edit edit: forgot who i was responding to.

Last edited:
It is always easy to see what you should have done after you lost :smile:

yes but there are certain patterns that others use that you may need to build into your set of patterns.

The reason its an 'ouch' is because I misclicked the corner mine (the Xd one) while meaning to go up to the mine right above the two. It wasn't that I didntk now what to do, its just I made a slip, which happens a lot :(

That wouldve been my new record, probably about 65-70 :cry:

the answer I was looking for was something along the lines of:

Take a corner section of the puzzle, bottom right for example.

0 2 []
2 2 []
[][][]

refer to either "2" that's not in the corner. it's immidiately recognizable that at least 1 of the (shown) adjacent squares to either "2" has a mine (because each "2" is touching uncovered three squares total). Then consider the corner "2", only 2 of the 5 uncovered squares shown can contain mines which means that for each non-corner "2" only one of the shown adjacent squares contains a mine. It is then known that

...X
...0 2 []
...2 2 []
X [] [] []

there must be mines where the X's are, and it should be clear that this result will be produced from any corner of the puzzle (thus solving the whole thing).

Was it too obvious, not obvious enough, or just not worth writing out?

Last edited:
I've seen it before, its obvious after process of elimination, but there's no 'trick' to it, you have to either know where to look or find out where to look.

I'm a minesweeper regular too.

1. How do I start solving a Minesweeper puzzle?

To start solving a Minesweeper puzzle, look for any single squares on the board that have a number on them. This number indicates how many mines are touching that square. Use this information to determine which squares are safe to click on and which ones are likely to contain mines.

2. How do I use the numbers to solve a Minesweeper puzzle?

The numbers on the board indicate how many mines are touching that particular square. Use this information to determine which squares are safe to click on and which ones are likely to contain mines. For example, if a square has a '3' on it, that means there are 3 mines touching that square. Therefore, the remaining squares that are not touching that '3' are safe to click on.

3. What happens when I click on a square with a mine?

If you click on a square with a mine, the game is over and you have lost. The board will be revealed with all the mines and you will need to start over.

4. How do I know if I have solved a Minesweeper puzzle correctly?

If you have solved a Minesweeper puzzle correctly, you will see a message that says "You Win!" and the entire board will be revealed with all the mines marked correctly. If you do not see this message, then you have not solved the puzzle correctly and may need to try again.

5. Is there a strategy for solving Minesweeper puzzles?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be used to solve Minesweeper puzzles. One common strategy is to look for patterns on the board, such as a number surrounded by empty squares, which indicates that all the remaining squares are safe to click on. Another strategy is to use process of elimination, marking off squares that are definitely mines and narrowing down the remaining options. With practice and patience, you can develop your own techniques for solving Minesweeper puzzles.