1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mini-golf Windmill

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A golf ball passing through a windmill at a miniature golf course. The windmill has 6 blades and rotates at an angular speed of 1.65 rad/s. The opening between successive blades is equal to the width of a blade. A golf ball (diameter 4.50x10-2 m) has just reached the edge of one of the rotating blades (see the drawing). Ignoring the thickness of the blades, find the minimum linear speed with which the ball moves along the ground, such that the ball will not be hit by the next blade.

2. Relevant equations
    ω=θ/t
    v=m/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to start this. I drew out a picture and I still can't see how I can relate the equations. And the last guy helping me just stopped.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi pmd28! :smile:

the ball is 0.045 m from front to back,

so it needs to go that distance "before the gap has gone past"! :wink:

4. Oct 23, 2012 #3
    I knew that much, I just couldn't get θ of ω. But I slept on it and figured it out. Thanks :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook