Constructing Mini Hot Air Balloon for Physics Olympics

• Thread starter jangag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Hot
In summary, the group of four is looking for ideas on constructing a hot air balloon with a maximum diameter of 50cm and powered by a candle with a maximum of 3 wicks for a school competition. The speaker is unsure of the best material and is seeking help. A suggestion is made to study existing designs and a link to a video is provided.
jangag
First , i am sorry if i posted on a wrong section because I am just new here .
We , as a group of four ,need some ideas on constructing a hot air balloon with maximum diameter of 50cm (for balloon) and it should be powered only by candle (made or bought) with maximum of 3 wicks for our Physics Olympics (school competition). My problem is , i don't know what is the best material for the whole hot air balloon so it can lift up with weights on it ,and also how to construct a balloon (currently i am searching for guides on how to make) so i am here asking for some help . Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
A quick calculation shows that you aren't going to do this with a spherical balloon think cylinder.

1. How do you construct a mini hot air balloon for Physics Olympics?

To construct a mini hot air balloon for Physics Olympics, you will need materials such as tissue paper, scissors, glue, a small candle or heat source, and a wire or string. First, cut the tissue paper into a rectangular shape and fold it in half. Then, glue the edges of the paper leaving a small opening at the top. Attach a wire or string to the opening for stability. Finally, light the candle or heat source and hold it under the opening to fill the balloon with hot air and watch it take flight!

2. What is the purpose of constructing a mini hot air balloon for Physics Olympics?

The purpose of constructing a mini hot air balloon for Physics Olympics is to demonstrate the principles of buoyancy, convection, and air pressure. By constructing and launching a mini hot air balloon, you can observe these concepts in action and understand how hot air causes the balloon to rise.

3. What are some tips for constructing a successful mini hot air balloon?

To ensure a successful mini hot air balloon, make sure to use lightweight materials such as tissue paper, avoid using too much glue, and make sure the opening at the top is not too large. It is also important to have a steady heat source and to hold the balloon at a slight angle when filling it with hot air to prevent it from catching fire.

4. How does the mini hot air balloon demonstrate the principles of physics?

The mini hot air balloon demonstrates the principles of physics through the interplay of buoyancy, convection, and air pressure. The hot air inside the balloon is less dense than the surrounding cooler air, causing it to rise due to the principle of buoyancy. This movement of hot air also creates convection currents, which help to lift the balloon. Additionally, the air pressure inside the balloon is lower than the air pressure outside, creating a pressure difference that helps to keep the balloon afloat.

5. Can the mini hot air balloon be used for other experiments or demonstrations?

Yes, the mini hot air balloon can be used for other experiments or demonstrations related to the principles of buoyancy, convection, and air pressure. For example, you can investigate how changing the size or shape of the balloon affects its flight, or how other heat sources such as a hairdryer or heat lamp can be used to lift the balloon. This project can also be modified to test different materials or designs to see which ones are most effective in creating a successful mini hot air balloon.