Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mini Musical Fountain HELP!

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    Hi ALL!
    I am new to this forum,but have been reading the posts from the forum for some time now.Lately,I and my friends have come up with a project of our own.That is to build a musical fountain,size of a laptop.For people who are not sure what it looks like,a real musical fountain looks like:

But we are just building a small one,maybe covered in glass box to prevent the water from flowing out?We did some research,came across this:

https://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/c...s2006/tj39vls25tmd29/tj39vls25tmd29/index.htm

but of course,we dont think is enough..Can anyone,help to guide us?Helps and comments are welcomed,good or bad.We appreciate every single effort and comments made.Thank You all

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

Danger

Gold Member

That's way beyond me. I would have just stretched a perforated rubber sheet over a pressurized water tank and acoustically coupled it to a speaker. :redface:

Kidding. Cost permitting, I would use solenoid valves as they show in the video, but a lot more of them. Of more concern would be steering the jet nozzles. I'm thinking that such might require stepper motors. Some coloured LED's shining through the nozzles would be a nice touch.
    As to making it follow the music, I have no idea. The kids in the video seem to have a decent handle on that, except for the steering stuff.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook